Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:18 pm
Central - 29°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:18 pm Central - 29°C Rain

Teen,14, guilty of manslaughter from fatal bus hub stabbing

Teen,14, guilty of manslaughter from fatal bus hub stabbing

By Navitalai Naivalurua
17/03/2025
Stuff.co.nz

A jury has delivered a guilty verdict of manslaughter for a 14-year-old boy accused of stabbing another in Dunedin, Otago in New Zealand.

16-year-old Enere John Jnr PoePoe Taana-McLaren was stabbed in the abdomen at the Dunedin Bus Hub on May 23rd last year.

He later died in Dunedin Hospital.

Another teen, who has name suppression, was charged over the stabbing.

He has been on trial in the High Court of Dunedin.

The jury retired on Wednesday to consider the verdict.

After more than two days of deliberations, the verdict was reached this morning, before a packed public gallery, which included family members of both the victim and the defendant.

The jury found the teen not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter.

During the trial, the jury heard from the defendant’s defence team that he acted in self-defence, while the Crown argued that he deliberately chased Taana-McLaren and stabbed him.

It also heard from dozens of witnesses and watched CCTV and cellphone video of the incident.

That video showed Taana-McLaren making a comment to the defendant, which led to both boys preparing for a possible fight.

The defendant was seen on video pulling a knife from his bag and then advancing towards Taana-McLaren who kicked him once.

The second swing of the knife saw Taana-McLaren stabbed in his abdomen, with the pair continuing to fight in the middle of the road, and the knife flung further down the street.

Stuff.co.nz

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
11 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
10 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
2 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP