Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 3:08 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
22 February, 2026, 3:08 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Extraction 2 is officially in the works

Extraction 2 is officially in the works

By fijivillage
17/05/2020
Scene from the movie Extraction where Chris Hamsworth played a black ops mercenary, Tyler Rake. [image: IMDB]

Great news for Extraction fans! We are officially getting Extraction 2, Netflix announced!

Writer Joe Russo is coming back and already signed up with Netflix for a follow-up movie. Lead actor Chris Hemsworth and director Sam Hargrave are also expected to return, though Netflix is yet to release an official announcement.

In an interview with Deadline, Russo said that the deal is already closed for him to write Extraction 2. He added that they are already in the formative stages of the story.

"We're not committing yet to whether that story goes forward, or backward in time. We left a big loose ending that leaves question marks for the audience." Russo told the Deadline.

And true to Russo's word, Extraction indeed left the audience hanging. A lot of questions were left unanswered and these made the audience jump into the conclusion that a follow-up movie can be expected soon.

Director Sam Hargrave previously talked to Digital Spy and validated the viewer's theories. Hargrave admitted that ambiguity is his way of testing the audience's reaction. Hargrave said that there have been "discussions of different storylines" for an Extraction sequel.

1

"We're all going to wait to see how fans react to the film. And based on that, there have been discussions of different storylines that could take place at different times – both forward in time and backward in time," he explained.

Sam Hagrave also said that the team is just waiting to see what happens and to see how the appetite is for these characters and this film before they would make their decisions.

There are also options that the team could take in case Hemsworth decides to say no to the Extraction sequel.

However, this is unlikely as Hemsworth already expressed his interest to play the mercenary Tyler Rake once again. In an Instagram video he posted on May 3, Hemsworth said that he'd be "pretty stoked to jump back into it."


"[There's] been a lot of talk and questions about sequels and prequels and all sorts of things and all I can say is, 'Who knows?' But with this kind of support, it's something I'd be pretty stoked to jump back into.", Hemsworth said in the video.

Chris is grateful for the massive support that the Extraction received.

"We are blown away by the response and the support, so on behalf of myself, the Russo brothers, Netflix, our director Sam Hargrave, thank you so, so much. We love you, guys." Hemsworth said on the same Instagram video. The first Extraction film premiered on April 24 and is now on its quest to become Netflix's biggest- ever film premiere. Netflix projected 90 Million households to watch Extraction within the first 30 days. Chris Hemsworth received massive praise for his acting skills and badass take on the action film.

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC to keep Charters in custody overnight
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been taken custody. fijivillage News understands Charters w...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Scabies cases increasing among children due to climate and close contact-Dr Tuicakau
Scabies is spreading widely among children as it thrives in Fiji’s tropical climate and due to close contact among students at home and in ...
10 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC.Naidu says the FICAC ...
10 hours ago

Young girls inspired to explore science and technology to shape Fiji’s future
High school students from Suva were inspired and empowered at the University of the South Pacific’s Global Women’s Breakfast 2026 event ...
10 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC. Naidu says the ...
11 hours ago

BSP reports 12.9 percent profit increase
The Bank of the South Pacific Financial Group Limited has delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31st December 2025, recording a ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
17 days ago

TOP