Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 12:58 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 12:58 am Central - 24°C Clouds

BCF is working with authorities to determine cause of Haider’s tragic collapse - Narayan

BCF is working with authorities to determine cause of Haider’s tragic collapse - Narayan

By Mosese Raqio , Vijay Narayan
12/11/2024
Photo:File

Boxing Commission of Fiji Chair, Adi Narayan has assured the family, friends and the broader boxing community after the passing of the late former featherweight boxer, Ubayd Haider, formerly known as Nathan Singh, that they are working closely with the relevant authorities to understand the circumstances surrounding Haider’s tragic collapse.

Haider was in an induced coma following emergency brain surgery after the controversial fight against Australian-based Chinese boxer Runqi Zhou at King Charles Park in Nadi, where no required drug tests were conducted by the promoter.

Narayan says their investigation into this matter will include a thorough review to ensure that such incidents are handled with the utmost care and that lessons are learned to protect the health and well-being of all boxers.

Narayan says Haider had been hospitalised ever since his fight against Zhou last month and had fought valiantly through this difficult period.

He says Haider was a man of remarkable character, and his dedication to the sport of boxing has left a legacy in Fiji.

He adds he was not only a talented boxer but also a champion of Fijian boxing, and he was known for his strength, resilience, and commitment both in and out of the ring.

Narayan says Haider’s loss is felt deeply by all who knew him, and by all those who had the privilege of watching him compete.

Meanwhile, the results from the Commission of Inquiry by the Fiji Boxing Commission on the whole incident are yet to be revealed.

Narayan had said that a Commission of Inquiry was going to start on Wednesday, 30th of October with the members including a representative from the Boxing Commission and two independent representatives.

Narayan had also confirmed that the International Boxing Organization had sanctioned the title fights in that promotion, and it required that all the boxers were to be tested for drugs after each fight and the promoter was responsible, and the results were to be shared with the Fiji Boxing Commission.

This comes amid concerns that Epinephrine and needles were allegedly found at the warm-up area at King Charles Park in Nadi.

Questions were raised by fijivillage News after Haider was rushed to hospital in a private vehicle after his fight with Zhou.

Haider’s camp wants to know why drug tests were not conducted, and is seriously concerned about the drugs and needles found in the warm-up area.

Promoter Fredy Chand confirms that no boxer underwent a drug test after their fight.

FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
University of Fiji and Jack’s Retail partner to launch new scholarship programme
The University of Fiji has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Jack’s Retail Pte Ltd to establish a scholarship programme aimed at expanding ...
6 hours ago

Long-time Lami resident calls for unity to tackle growing drug crisis
A long-time Lami resident is calling for stronger collaboration between government, faith-based organisations and community groups to address what ...
7 hours ago

Prison is there to set people straight if found with drugs - Nabouwalu resident
Amelia Dio says if someone is caught with drugs, prison is there to set them straight.Dio shared her views during the consultation on the proposed ...
8 hours ago

FNU honours choir for service through music
About 40 students in the Fiji National University Choir based at the Natabua Campus have been formally recognised for their contribution to campus ...
8 hours ago

Lateef to take plea on meth possession charge on Feb 25th
Former Suva lawyer Shazran Abdul Lateef will take his plea on the 25th of this month where he was allegedly found with methamphetamine last year. He ...
8 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
12 days ago

TOP