Fijivillage
17 February, 2026, 5:31 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
17 February, 2026, 5:31 pm Central - 30°C Rain

Joshua could fight former kickboxing champ Rico Verhoeven

Joshua could fight former kickboxing champ Rico Verhoeven

By Alipate Narawa
23/12/2025
Anthony Joshua’s forthcoming fight could be another crossover clash.
After knocking out Jake Paul on Saturday, Joshua and promoter Eddie Hearn addressed rumours of a planned February pitting against the prolific kickboxing champion, Rico Verhoeven.
Hearn says they have been talking about a possible fight with Turki Alalshikh during a press conference in Miami following Joshua’s sixth-round knockout of Paul.
He says a couple of opponents mentioned, with the biggest challenge now is that it is eight weeks away adding that Joshua had a very tough camp, eight or nine weeks, with a new team, who gave him a good working over.
The promoter says they will sit down with that team and talk about when Joshua will be ready to return.
The date is really what they are going to work on over the next four to six days.
Hearn says the plan is to fight in the spring, and then obviously fight Tyson Fury.
Verhoeven, a 36-year-old from the Netherlands, has a kickboxing record of 66 wins, including 21 knockouts, and 10 losses and vacated his Glory heavyweight title in November after reigning as a champion for 12 years.
He fought once as a professional boxer in 2014, scoring a second-round stoppage win and he also has a victory in the lone MMA contest of his career.
While Verhoeven remains an option, Joshua (29-4, 26 KOs) said his preference is to go straight into the much-discussed fight against fellow Brit and former heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (34-2-1, 24 KOs).
Joshua says hopefully in a week or two, he will have some news, as he is a strong guy and he wants to push on.

Hearn and Joshua emphasized that they want to go straight into the Fury fight without having to take on challenges in between.

Fury announced yet another retirement in January, shortly after suffering a second consecutive decision defeat against Oleksandr Usyk.
Source: theringmagazine
FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
23 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Prison is there to set people straight if found with drugs - Nabouwalu resident
Amelia Dio says if someone is caught with drugs, prison is there to set them straight.Dio shared her views during the consultation on the proposed ...
11 minutes ago

FNU honours choir for service through music
About 40 students in the Fiji National University Choir based at the Natabua Campus have been formally recognised for their contribution to campus ...
17 minutes ago

Long-time Lami resident calls for unity to tackle growing drug crisis
A long-time Lami resident is calling for stronger collaboration between government, faith-based organisations and community groups to address what ...
18 minutes ago

Lateef to take plea on meth possession charge on Feb 25th
Former Suva lawyer Shazran Abdul Lateef will take his plea on the 25th of this month where he was allegedly found with methamphetamine last year. He ...
23 minutes ago

Sports Council Board to meet this evening regarding serious concerns
The Fiji Sports Council Board will meet this evening to discuss various allegations against the former Executive Chairman and current CEO of the ...
23 minutes ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
11 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
11 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
12 days ago

TOP