Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 3:23 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 3:23 pm Central - 28°C Rain

Quarantine hotel sex scandal linked to coronavirus outbreak in Australian city of Melbourne

Quarantine hotel sex scandal linked to coronavirus outbreak in Australian city of Melbourne

By Semi Turaga
03/07/2020
Melbourne's Stamford Plaza hotel. [image: dailymail.uk]

Australian officials have launched a judicial inquiry amid allegations a fresh coronavirus outbreak in the state of Victoria was sparked by some contracted workers not following protocols at a hotel used to quarantine international arrivals -- including reportedly having sex with people under lockdown.

Premier Daniel Andrews announced the state government would provide $3 million to support the inquiry.

He has previously said a number of cases in late May and early June could be linked to "an infection control breach in the hotel quarantine program."

Authorities have commandeered a number of hotels across the country as part of its strict border controls to control the spread of the coronavirus. Anyone who arrives in Australia must undertake a 14-day mandatory quarantine at the facilities, which are managed by the government.

Australia's National broadcaster ABC reports 31 cases have been linked to Melbourne's Stamford Plaza hotel, while other infections have been linked to the Rydges on Swanston hotel, which is also in the state capital.

9 News reports the alleged breaches include claims some workers had sex with guests in isolation and a lack of training for the guards.

[SourceCNN]

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho granted bail in inciting to mutiny case
Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho have been granted bail. They are charged with inciting to m...
44 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
21 minutes ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
52 minutes ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
57 minutes ago

$1M fines and jail terms ‘too harsh’, says Fiji Airways
Fiji Airways has raised serious concerns over the scale and scope of penalties proposed in the Employment Relations Bill, warning that the ...
1 hour ago

Lateef to be sentenced on Monday for meth and marijuana case
Former Suva lawyer, Shazran Abdul Lateef will be sentenced on Monday after he was convicted for the unlawful possession of 9.5 grams of ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP