Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 8:07 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 8:07 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Pryde takes further leave after no response from JSC

Pryde takes further leave after no response from JSC

By Navitalai Naivalurua
02/02/2025
Director of Public Prosecutions, Christopher Pryde

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Christopher Pryde says he has informed Chief Justice Salesi Temo that he is reluctant to return to Fiji and take up his position until the Judicial Services Commission (JSC) advises him that the unjustifiable threat against him is lifted.

Pryde says he has not received any response from the Commission on the allegations made against him by Nancy Tikoisuva.

In a statement, Pryde says that he had been given two weeks leave to answer the allegations and was expected to resume duties tomorrow, Monday 3rd.

He says he responded to each of the allegations and urged the Commission to dismiss the complaint so that he could resume his duties in Fiji without further interruption or interference after he was exonerated by the Tribunal, his suspension was lifted and he was reinstated to the position of Director of Public Prosecutions by the President.

He urged the Commission to dismiss the complaint on the basis that the allegations were misconceived, baseless, and trivial.

The DPP adds he also questioned the motive behind the complaint given that the allegations stemmed from information contained in his personal file that had been in the possession of the Commission for the past 21 months.

He says he contended that the complaint was clearly brought with malicious intent to discredit him and other members of the ODPP staff.

Pryde says on Friday 31st January 2025, he again wrote to the Chief Justice noting that he had still not received any response from the Commission to his letter on 23rd January or any decision by the Commission as to whether it intends to advise the President, to suspend him yet again.

He says he has heard nothing from the Commission and requested a further extension of his leave until such time as the Commission gives a decision.

The Director says he is reluctant to return to Fiji and does not think anyone could be expected to resume duties under such difficult and challenging circumstances with the threat of suspension hanging in the air like the Sword of Damocles.

Pryde adds that in the meantime, he has advised the Chief Justice that he has delegated his authority to Assistant DPP Pauline Madanavosa and they are in touch on a daily basis to ensure the operations of the office continue in the usual manner.

He says he has known Madanavosa for many years and has confidence in her ability to manage the office in his absence from Fiji.

The Director says he looks forward to resuming his duties in Fiji just as soon as the Judicial Services Commission advises him that this unjustifiable threat against him is lifted.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
48 minutes ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
52 minutes ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
1 hour ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
2 hours ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP