Fijivillage
NEWS SPORTS

Police Internal Affairs launch probe after DPP asks for an arrest warrant for a cop

Police Internal Affairs launch probe after DPP asks for an arrest warrant for a cop

By Semi Turaga
Tuesday 10/11/2020

A Police internal affairs investigation is underway after the Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde had to ask the High Court to issue an arrest warrant to compel the attendance of a Police officer to appear in court.

Two other arrest warrants were sought for other witnesses that police had failed to produce in court.

They were supposed to appear in court for a home invasion case from 2018 that resulted in serious injuries to the two male victims and 1 female victim who were attacked with a cane knife and pinch bar in their home.

The Acting Commissioner of Police Rusiate Tudravu has directed the Director of Internal Affairs to investigate those involved.

Spokesperson Ana Naisoro says if those officers are found to be at fault they face possible dismissal from the institution.

In a statement today, the DPP Christopher Pryde says it is of increasing concern that Police officers are failing to properly caution suspects on their right to silence upon arrest.

He says this basic right which is afforded to all suspects must be properly given and when it is not given properly, any statements made are likely to be ruled inadmissible by the court.

Pryde further says Police officers, like any other witnesses, must respect a court summons to appear and give evidence.

He adds Police officers who show a lack of respect for the court and its procedures by failing to attend not only let themselves down but let victims of crime down.

The DPP stresses there is no excuse for this behaviour.

He says as a result of the failure of police officers to adequately caution the accused and as a result of the police officer's failure to attend court, he had no option but to file a nolle prosequi and discontinue the matter.

In an unrelated matter, a second discontinuation was filed in court this morning by the DPP for a street mugging of an elderly woman at the Suva Bus Stand in September after police lost critical evidence in the case and the Suva City Council deleted the CCTV footage.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Health Ministry continues to trace, screen and test all contacts of current COVID-19 cases in Fiji
Contact tracing continues for the potential super spreader event which is a funeral at Peceliema Church in Tavakubu. Mon 19th Apr Tue 20th ...
6 days ago

COVID-19 vaccination rollout in Fiji
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama says he is getting vaccinated because it is what we all must do to defeat this pandemic once and for ...
29 days ago

Coca Cola Games 2021
Coca-Cola Games will depend on the approval from the Health and Education ...
31 days ago
FEATURE NEWS
Suva and Nausori 24 hour curfew lifted
The Suva and Nausori lockdown was lifted at 4 o’clock this morning and the Suva and Nausori separate containment zones are back which means the bord...
11 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Man captured on video punching another man several times charged by Police
A 24-year-old man who was captured on video punching another man several times at a worksite in Navua last week has been charged with one count of ...
34 minutes ago

During times of war schools and businesses close down – Dr Fong
Health Ministry’s Permanent Secretary says schools will remain closed. While responding to a question about the reopening of schools, Dr James ...
44 minutes ago

China donates 17 hospital beds to assist with Fiji’s COVID-19 response
China has donated 17 hospital beds worth $25,500 to aid Fiji with its current response to COVID-19. The Fijian government in a statement says this ...
2 hours ago

Israel prepares for 'intensive night of strikes'
After a temporary pause, Gaza militants have launched more rockets into Israel. BBC News reports a strike on southern Israel has killed two ...
2 hours ago

Doctor Fong says this will not be a 30-day war
Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor James Fong says it has been 30 days since this year’s first local case of COVID-19, and he is telling people ...
11 hours ago

TOP