Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 12:46 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
22 February, 2026, 12:46 pm Central - 28°C Rain

PM announces new range of measures at our borders to reduce the risk of coronavirus outbreak in Fiji

PM announces new range of measures at our borders to reduce the risk of coronavirus outbreak in Fiji

By Vijay Narayan
27/02/2020

Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama says given the rapid increase in global cases of the Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19, the government is announcing a new range of measures at our borders to reduce the risk of an outbreak in Fiji.

Bainimarama says following the closure of Fijian borders to all visitors from Mainland China, from 28th February, Fiji will also be denying access to any foreign nationals who have been present in the nations of Italy and Iran or in Cheongdo county and Daegu city in South Korea within 14 days of their intended travel to Fiji.

The UAE and Singapore have just announced similar measures.

The Prime Minister says in cooperation with Fiji Airways and other carriers, the previously announced stringent border screening measures will remain in place for all inbound passengers to Fiji.

From next Monday, Fiji will also screen all international air passengers with handheld temperature scanners and in two to three weeks time we will have thermal scanners installed at our international airports.

At sea, from 28th February, all cruise ships entering Fijian waters will be required to make first berth at ports in Suva or Lautoka, where all passengers on board will undergo the earlier-announced medical and travel history checks.

Bainimarama says the global economy is taking a big hit from the spread of the coronavirus, and Fiji will feel the impacts as well.

But the Prime Minister stresses that they are introducing these new security measures because they believe the health of our people must always come first.

In the United States, health officials revealed that an eventual, larger-scale outbreak of coronavirus in the country was all but inevitable.

Bainimarama says this is a reality all countries must face but our decision-making must be guided by facts, not by fear.

He says that’s why the Ministry of Health will diligently prepare for the disease, even though Fiji continues to be free of coronavirus.

Bainimarama says in the meantime, health officials are equipped and prepared to isolate and treat any case of the virus if it arrives in the country.

He says we will soon have the capacity to quickly and accurately test for the virus here in Fiji, rather than send samples overseas.

The Prime Minister says Fiji continues to keep a close watch on the global spread of the coronavirus – now known as COVID-19.

The virus has now infected more than 80,000 people in over 30 countries.

As of today, there are no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Fiji.

He says every Fijian can aid our nationwide response, firstly, by practicing good hygiene.

Wash your hands, cover your mouth and nose if you cough or sneeze.

FEATURE NEWS
JSC to have emergency meeting today after detention of Charlie Charters by FICAC
The Judicial Services Commission chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, will have an emergency meeting today after the detention of Fijian national, Ch...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Government and UNESCO disaster resilience and sustainable livelihoods agenda
Strenthening disaster resilience and sustainable livelihood initiatives across education, science, technology, and innovation, gender empowerment, ...
1 hour ago

Seruiratu asks why Charters was stopped, moved, and is held without clear explanation
Leader of Opposition, Inia Seruiratu says the detention of Charlie Charters has raised a serious concern for the people of Fiji. Seruiratu says the ...
2 hours ago

Nakauvadra High School prefects urged to lead with integrity and responsibility
The newly appointed prefects of Nakauvadra High School in Rakiraki were urged to lead with integrity, service, and accountability.This was ...
3 hours ago

Body found near Lami Wesley Church confirmed to be male
A man’s body was found floating near the Lami Oceania Wesley Church today. Police say more details will be released once the man’s family has ...
3 hours ago

Seruiratu asks why Charters was stopped, moved, and is held without clear explanation
Leader of Opposition, Inia Seruiratu says the detention of Charlie Charters has raised a serious concern for the people of Fiji. Seruiratu says ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
17 days ago

TOP