Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:53 pm
Central - 27°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:53 pm Central - 27°C Rain

‘It’s a disgrace:’ Actor Guy Pearce responds to Vanity Fair France’s edit of Palestine flag pin

‘It’s a disgrace:’ Actor Guy Pearce responds to Vanity Fair France’s edit of Palestine flag pin

By fijivillage
10/06/2024
Guy Pearce leaving "The Shrouds" Red Carpet at the 2024 Cannes Film Festival, with the Palestinian flag visible on his lapel. Victor Boyko/Getty Images

Vanity Fair France has issued an apology after editing a photo of actor Guy Pearce, in which a Palestinian flag pin he wore on his suit jacket is not visible. The move, which was quickly called out on social media, has been labeled by some as an attempt at censorship.

“As the Palestinian people are already suffering great trauma and loss due to the vengeful regime of Netanyahu it is most unfortunate that a reputable publication like VF attempts to eliminate support that I or anyone chooses to offer,” Pearce told CNN in an emailed statement. “Personally I think it is a disgrace.”

Pearce was featured in Vanity Fair France last week as part of a series of actor portraits at the 2024 Cannes Film Festival, which wrapped its 11-day stint on May 25 and where Pearce was supporting his new film “The Shrouds.” Featured alongside stars like Sebastian Stan and Bella Hadid, Pearce sported a black Yves Saint Laurent suit in his portrait, smiling straight at the camera.

But social media sleuths detected an issue. A small Palestinian flag pin, which Pearce had been wearing on his lapel throughout Cannes, was missing from the photograph, though a different photo, featuring the pin, was posted to the magazine’s Instagram the same day the article published. A white, red, black and green bracelet — the colors of the Palestinian flag — was still visible on his wrist.

The sleuthing went viral on sites like X and TikTok, prompting the magazine to replace the un-edited photo and issue a correction to the article. An apology was also posted to social media on Sunday.

gomkev7xeaadn0d

“We have published by mistake a modified version of this photo on the site,” the magazine wrote in French on X in response to a viral post criticizing the edited photo. “The original version was posted on Instagram the same day. We have rectified our mistake and we apologize.”

It’s unclear why a modified version of the picture existed in the first place. Condé Nast, Vanity Fair’s parent company, did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

Following the controversy, Pearce also reiterated his support for the Palestinian cause in a post on X, writing “Palestinians are being murdered as we speak. Displaced, traumatised, ruined. The lives and futures of Palestinian children are being eradicated by a vengeful tyrant.”

Since October, more than 36,000 people in Gaza have been killed, according to the Ministry of Health in the enclave. Israel’s military operation in Gaza started after Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on October 7, killing about 1,200 people and taking more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli authorities.

Last weekend, Israel launched an airstrike on a refugee camp in Rafah, killing at least 45 people. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the civilian deaths a “tragic error” but would not cease the war, despite international condemnation.

Source : CNN

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
46 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
45 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
3 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP