Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 12:26 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 12:26 pm Central - 26°C Rain

Eight more arrested over deadly Hong Kong blaze as toll rises to 128 with hundreds still missing

Eight more arrested over deadly Hong Kong blaze as toll rises to 128 with hundreds still missing

By Navitalai Naivalurua
29/11/2025
Photo : Channel 3000

The number of people killed in the devastating Hong Kong apartment complex fire has risen to 128, with as many as 200 still missing.

Officials say eight more people have been arrested over the blaze.

The inferno rapidly spread through a public housing estate in the Tai Po district on Wednesday, trapping residents inside.

With authorities warning that the death toll may continue to rise, attention has now turned to what caused Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades.

According to Director of Fire Services Andy Yeung, fire alarms in all eight buildings of the complex were “not functional”, a finding discovered during inspections carried out after the blaze.

It is still unclear whether the alarm system was operational on the day of the fire, although residents earlier told CNN that the building alarm did not ring.

Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency confirmed that those arrested on Friday include two directors of a consultancy firm advising on maintenance, two project managers, three scaffolding subcontractors, and an intermediary.

Earlier this week, officials had also arrested three construction workers on suspicion of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Police say all three were granted bail on Friday.

The blaze has shocked the densely populated city, which is known for strong public safety regulations and strict construction standards.

Many displaced residents and survivors spent a third night in temporary shelters on Friday, questioning how such a tragedy could occur.

Others waited anxiously for confirmation on whether their missing family members are among the dead.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Yeung says it will take three to four weeks to determine why the blaze spread so rapidly from one building to another, turning a single-tower incident into multiple large-scale fires.

Hong Kong’s Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs, Alice Mak, announced that families of the deceased will receive HK$200,000 (US$25,700) in assistance. Households affected by the fire will also receive HK$50,000 (US$6,400) as a living allowance this coming week.

Wang Fuk Court was undergoing renovations at the time of the fire, with all eight buildings wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and green protective mesh. Police previously found the construction company’s name on flammable polystyrene boards discovered blocking some windows during rescue operations.

Source: CNN

FEATURE NEWS
Hearing for Judicial Review of COI set for 10th to 12th April
The hearing for the judicial review into the Commission of Inquiry Report regarding the appointment of Barbara Malimali as FICAC Commissioner will be ...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
14 minutes ago

Son and mother left homeless after fire in Saru, Lautoka
30-year-old Binitesh Sharma and his 72-year-old mother, Veenat Kumari, are homeless after a fire destroys their two-bedroom home at Saru Back Road in ...
34 minutes ago

Hearing for Judicial Review of COI set for 10th to 12th April
The hearing for the judicial review into the Commission of Inquiry Report regarding the appointment of Barbara Malimali as FICAC Commissioner will be ...
2 hours ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
2 hours ago

At 27, Reapi becomes Dux after being turned away when in Year 13
After being turned away from her Year 13 external exam because her family could not afford $570 in school fees, Reapi Tabuaniviti finally returned to ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP