Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 6:37 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 6:37 pm Central - 25°C Rain

37 people charged with 41 counts of non-sexual offences in October including two juveniles and 3 police officers

37 people charged with 41 counts of non-sexual offences in October including two juveniles and 3 police officers

By Navitalai Naivalurua
09/11/2025

A total of 37 people, including two juveniles and three police officers, were charged with 41 counts of non-sexual offences last month.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) says the charges included murder (1), attempted murder (1), aggravated robbery (6), aggravated burglary (4), burglary (1), theft (6), assault causing actual bodily harm (5), acts with intent to cause grievous harm (4), serious assault (1), arson (1), unlawful importation of illicit drugs (1), unauthorised use of diving apparatus for fishing (1), failure to comply with requirements after an accident (1), unlawful use of explosives for fishing (1), personation (1), criminal intimidation (1), damaging property (3), and breach of bail (2).

There were 24 victims of the 41 counts, and in five of the incidents, the accused and victim were related.

The ODPP says a 33-year-old man was charged with the murder of his 22-year-old wife, after he allegedly beat her continuously with a broom handle, resulting in her death.

In another case, a 31-year-old man was charged with attempted murder, failure to comply with requirements after an accident, damaging property, and breach of bail.

The man allegedly drove his vehicle directly towards the victim with intent to kill, damaging the walls of a supermarket and failing to stop after causing the accident.

A 43-year-old man was charged with acts with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after he allegedly hit his 46-year-old wife on the head with a torch.

A 41-year-old man was charged with acts with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to his 40-year-old de facto partner, while a 52-year-old man faced the same charge involving his 39-year-old former de facto partner.

In another incident, a 62-year-old man and a 38-year-old man were charged with acts with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to a 38-year-old man after allegedly assaulting him with a cane knife.

A 43-year-old man was charged with assault causing actual bodily harm to an 8-year-old girl, while a 30-year-old man faced the same charge involving an 11-year-old girl.

Both accused were also charged with rape offences.

Meanwhile, a 30-year-old man was charged with arson and damaging property after he allegedly set fire to his mother’s house.

The ODPP says there was one incident where three men were charged with the unauthorised use of underwater breathing apparatus and use of explosives (dynamite) for fishing.

A 27-year-old man was charged with personation, aggravated burglary and theft after he allegedly impersonated a police officer and stole assorted jewellery from a 45-year-old victim’s house.

In another case, three serving police officers, one former officer, one Nigerian national, and two others were charged with the unlawful importation of 4.86 kilograms of methamphetamine.

The ODPP says cash and assorted items were stolen during the alleged aggravated robbery and burglary offences, which included house and shop break-ins and street muggings.

A 17-year-old, a 14-year-old, and an 18-year-old were also charged with aggravated burglary and theft after they allegedly broke into a 36-year-old victim’s house and stole assorted items.

FEATURE NEWS
Update : Bainimarama and Qiliho being questioned for alleged mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho are currently being questioned at the CID Headquarters.fijiv...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
11 minutes ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
27 minutes ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
30 minutes ago

JSC meeting with Malimali, Waqanika, lawyers for PM and AG Chambers underway
The Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, is meeting now with sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali, her lawyer ...
1 hour ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP