Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 9:36 pm
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 9:36 pm Central - 24°C Clouds
DPP

21-year-old man charged with the murder of his granduncle last month
DPP says man allegedly struck his uncle several times with a cane knife

21-year-old man charged with the murder of his granduncle last month

DPP says man allegedly struck his uncle several times with a cane knife

By Navitalai Naivalurua
06/08/2024

43 people charged with 65 counts of non-sexual violence offences last month

Forty-three people were charged with a total of 65 counts of non-sexual violence offences last month, including a 21-year-old man charged with the murder of his 59-year-old granduncle.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions says the man allegedly struck his uncle several times with a cane knife, which resulted in his death.

According to the DPP, of the 43 accused persons, three were juveniles and were charged with aggravated burglary and theft offences.

There were five incidents where the accused and the victim were related to one another.

The DPP says non-sexual violence offences last month consisted of one murder case, one manslaughter case, seven aggravated robbery cases, one attempted robbery case, 11 aggravated burglary cases, three burglary cases, 19 theft cases, one receiving stolen property case, one arson case, one attempted arson case, one assault causing actual bodily harm case, four-act with intent to cause grievous harm case, two criminal intimidation case, one grievous harm case, one common assault case, three serious assault cases, one giving false information to a public servant case, three breaches of bail case and three damaging property case.

Six men were earlier charged with the manslaughter of a 27-year-old man, however, discontinuance was filed against three accused persons as they are now State witnesses in this matter.

The DPP says a 24-year-old man was charged with an act with intent to cause grievous harm to his 45-year-old father with a cane knife.

The accused person was also charged with three counts of damaging property for allegedly damaging the windscreen of his father’s vehicle, mobile phone and louvre blades.

A 21-year-old man was charged with an act with intent to cause grievous harm to his 19-year-old wife, while in another incident, a 52-year-old woman was charged with causing grievous harm to her 54-year-old husband.

There was one incident where a 32-year-old man was charged with an act with intent to cause grievous harm and criminally intimidating a 43-year-old woman.

DPP says the man allegedly threatened the victim and struck her with a kitchen knife.

In another incident, a 37-year-old man was charged with an act with intent to cause grievous harm to a 55-year-old man.

The accused person allegedly assaulted the victim with a piece of wood.

There was one incident where a 24-year-old man was charged with arson, where the accused person allegedly set fire to a house belonging to the Lami Town Council.

The DPP says cash and assorted items were stolen during the alleged aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary offences, which consisted of house and shop break-ins, garage break-ins, and day and night street muggings.

There was one incident where a 22-year-old man was charged with giving false information to a police officer, and the accused person was charged alongside a 20-year-old man with aggravated robbery and serious assault.

Five cases were withdrawn after discontinuances (Nolle Prosequi) were filed due to insufficient and inconsistent evidence.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
6 minutes ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
2 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
2 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
3 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP