Fijivillage
17 February, 2026, 9:44 pm
Central - 25°C Clouds
17 February, 2026, 9:44 pm Central - 25°C Clouds

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr: Former world boxing champion to be deported to Mexico after visa overstay arrest in California

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr: Former world boxing champion to be deported to Mexico after visa overstay arrest in California

By Navitalai Naivalurua
04/07/2025
Photo: Courthouse News Service

Former boxing champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr has been arrested in California for overstaying a US visa and will be deported to Mexico, where he faces organised crime charges, federal officials confirmed yesterday.

The arrest comes just days after Chavez fought Jake Paul in Anaheim, California.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), agents detained the 39-year-old in Studio City on July 2nd for violating the terms of a tourist visa that expired in February 2024.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services had flagged Chavez as an "egregious public safety threat" last year, yet he re-entered the country on January 4th.

Officials say he has an active arrest warrant in Mexico for alleged ties to the Sinaloa Cartel, including trafficking firearms, ammunition, and explosives.

Chavez's attorney, Michael Goldstein, said the boxer was arrested by a large group of federal agents while riding a scooter outside his home.

Goldstein said they are due in court on Monday, but was unsure of his client's current location.

Chavez applied for a green card in April 2024 through marriage to a US citizen, allegedly linked to the Sinaloa Cartel via a past relationship with the late son of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

Authorities say his application included multiple fraudulent statements.

Once a WBC middleweight champion, Chavez Jr.'s career has been marred by controversy - including failed drug tests, suspensions, and repeated weight issues.

Despite a chequered career, he shared the ring with elite fighters like Canelo Alvarez and Sergio Martinez, though he lost to both.

Source:SkySports

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
5 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
University of Fiji and Jack’s Retail partner to launch new scholarship programme
The University of Fiji has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Jack’s Retail Pte Ltd to establish a scholarship programme aimed at expanding ...
3 hours ago

Long-time Lami resident calls for unity to tackle growing drug crisis
A long-time Lami resident is calling for stronger collaboration between government, faith-based organisations and community groups to address what ...
4 hours ago

Prison is there to set people straight if found with drugs - Nabouwalu resident
Amelia Dio says if someone is caught with drugs, prison is there to set them straight.Dio shared her views during the consultation on the proposed ...
4 hours ago

FNU honours choir for service through music
About 40 students in the Fiji National University Choir based at the Natabua Campus have been formally recognised for their contribution to campus ...
5 hours ago

Lateef to take plea on meth possession charge on Feb 25th
Former Suva lawyer Shazran Abdul Lateef will take his plea on the 25th of this month where he was allegedly found with methamphetamine last year. He ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
11 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
11 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
12 days ago

TOP