Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 12:36 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 12:36 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Mataqali Nabukebuke warns of camp takeover if NJV fails to pay $75,000 arrears

Mataqali Nabukebuke warns of camp takeover if NJV fails to pay $75,000 arrears

By Iliana Biutu
29/01/2026
Mataqali Nabukebuke raise serious concerns at the meeting yesterday
The mataqali Nabukebuke of Namosi Village has warned the Namosi Joint Venture that they will take over the Waisoi base camp if the $75,000 arrears are not paid by tomorrow.

Spokesperson Petero Saunivalu confirms that the rent payments were halted in June last year.

Saunivalu states that they became aware at the end of last year that the payment had been stopped.

He says they expect good faith from NJV and the Department of Mineral Resources when dealing with sensitive issues that affect many people.


He adds that if NJV does not pay the arrears by tomorrow, they will take over the camp at Waisoi.

NJV Country Manager Netava Bakaniceva says there is division within the mataqali Nabukebuke, and as a result, the SPL1420 committee approached Sireli Fa to request that the quarterly payments normally made by the company to the mataqali be frozen.

Bakaniceva says after the meeting held today, he will process the payment that was on hold, to be released tomorrow.

He adds that they sought advice from their legal team and were told to freeze the money, otherwise they could be required to pay it twice.

The country manager also states that if the SPL1420 committee submits another letter requesting the release of the funds, they will take the matter to court and allow the court to make a decision on the issue.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
2 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
3 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
5 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
5 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP