Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 9:26 am
Central - 29°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 9:26 am Central - 29°C Clouds

Australian Open: Alcaraz, Zverev, Sabalenka and Svitolina into semis

Australian Open: Alcaraz, Zverev, Sabalenka and Svitolina into semis

By Alipate Narawa
28/01/2026
Alcaraz, Zverev, Sabalenka and Svitolina (Photo(s): The New York Times, Reuters, BBC, The Australian)
Elina Svitolina stole the headlines last night when she played one of the best matches of her career to blow away an out-of-sorts Coco Gauff for the loss of three games to move into her first Australian Open semifinal.

The 31-year-old hardly put a foot wrong as she cruised past the world No.3 6-1 6-2 to advance to a fourth Grand Slam semifinal of her career, and her second since returning to the tour in 2023 after maternity leave. The popular Ukrainian will next face Aryna Sabalenka, who had earlier beaten young American Iva Jovic.

Svitolina has been outstanding so far this season, winning all of the 10 matches she has played and without dropping a single set at Melbourne Park during a run that has seen her record back-to-back top 10 wins.

After cutting her 2025 season short to mentally and physically refresh, her unbeaten stretch during January means she will be back in the WTA top 10 next week for the first time since 2021.

“Happy to be in the semis finally after so many years here, so many tries,” said the No.12 seed, who had lost three AO quarterfinals before Tuesday’s breakthrough.

“I feel like for me it's all about trying to find new ways to win now. There are so many young players. There's so many aggressive players who, if you're not at your best, they are just taking the match from you. So you have to evolve your game. You have to be better.”

She will take that mindset into her semifinal on Thursday when she faces Sabalenka, who crushed Jovic 6-3 6-0 to continue her dominance at Melbourne Park.

The world No.1 and two-time former champion is another player yet to drop a set in the tournament, and has now won 25 of her past 26 matches at the opening major of the season.

While Sabalenka is into her fourth successive AO semifinal, Jovic can be proud of her progress during January.

The 18-year-old from California reached the semifinals in Auckland and final in Hobart and will debut in the world’s top 20 on Monday.

Men’s world No.1 Carlos Alcaraz made his own personal breakthrough on Day 10 when he booked a Melbourne semifinal spot for the first time in his career, ending the run of home favourite Alex de Minaur 7-5 6-2 6-1.

Having lost in the quarterfinals for the past two years, the Spaniard is now just two wins away from becoming, at 22, the youngest man ever to complete a career Grand Slam by collecting all four majors at least once.

After a competitive first set – and a quite brilliant final point of the opener – De Minaur’s challenge faded quickly as the man from Murcia moved into a 10th Grand Slam semifinal.

It will be German world No.3 Alexander Zverev who will present the next challenge for Alcaraz on Friday after the three-time Grand Slam runner-up eventually wore down another youngster from California, Learner Tien, in four sets.

Zverev, last year’s finalist in Melbourne, used his experience against the 20-year-old left-hander as the match wore on to emerge a 6-3 6-7(5) 6-1 7-6(3) winner.

“I feel like I'm playing well,” said Zverev who was plagued with a variety of injuries during 2025. “I'm happy on the court because I am playing pain-free and I'm playing a good level.”

Like Jovic, Tien will also move to a career-high ranking on Monday when he rises to No.24.

Alcaraz notably beat Jannik Sinner in the U.S. Open final last September to capture his sixth major title and second at the American tournament. He played Sinner in three major finals last year (all but the Australian Open) and won the French Open and U.S. Open titles.

The Spaniard is two wins away from making incredible tennis history. It sounds like he has the confidence in himself to do it, as long as he keeps playing with the dominance he’s shown thus far. We’ll see come Sunday if Alcaraz etches his name in the tennis history books again.
FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho to appear in Court today regarding inciting to mutiny charges
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho will appear in court today after being charged with inciting...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Hardwood declares first-ever $500,000 dividend since 1998
Fiji Hardwood Corporation Limited has declared its first-ever dividend of $500,000 to the Government of Fiji following its Annual General Meeting on ...
41 minutes ago

Grammy-winning US songwriter Billy Steinberg dies at 75-yrs-old
Grammy-winning songwriter Billy Steinberg, a key figure behind a string of chart-topping hits including Madonna's Like a Virgin, has died at the age ...
1 hour ago

Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
2 hours ago

Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
2 hours ago

Rokobua Naiyaga is new Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission Fiji
Minister for Education, Aseri Radrodro in consultation with the Prime Minister, has appointed Rokobua Naiyaga as the new Chairperson of the Higher ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP