Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 3:51 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 3:51 pm Central - 28°C Rain

Valetini and Gleeson named in Wallabies squad for Rugby Championship

Valetini and Gleeson named in Wallabies squad for Rugby Championship

By Navitalai Naivalurua
08/08/2025

Two players with Fijian heritage—Rob Valetini and Langi Gleeson—have been named in the Wallabies' 35-member squad for the upcoming Rugby Championship, which kicks off next Sunday.

Wallabies head coach Joe Schmidt has included the powerful forwards in a team that also features several new faces, including ACT Brumbies recruit Tane Edmed and Queensland Reds lock Lukhan Salakaia-Loto.

Edmed, who earned his first Test cap last year, has been brought into the squad following the unavailability of Tom Lynagh, who is recovering from a concussion sustained in the final British & Irish Lions Test.

Brumbies halfback Ryan Lonergan also joins the squad, with Jake Gordon ruled out.

Meanwhile, La Rochelle-based lock Will Skelton returns to the national side amid early uncertainty about his availability.

The Wallabies are set to open their Rugby Championship campaign with two Tests in South Africa.

They face the Springboks at Emirates Airline Park in Johannesburg on Sunday, 17th August at 3.10am, followed by a second Test at DHL Stadium in Cape Town on 24th August.

Forwards (20) Angus Bell Nick Champion De Crespigny Nick Frost Langi Gleeson Tom Hooper Fraser McReight Josh Nasser Zane Nonggorr Brandon Paenga-Amosa Billy Pollard Tom Robertson Aidan Ross Lukhan Salakaia-Loto Will Skelton James Slipper Carlo Tizzano Taniela Tupou Rob Valetini Jeremy Williams Harry Wilson

Backs (15) Ben Donaldson Tane Edmed Josh Flook Len Ikitau Max Jorgensen Andrew Kellaway Ryan Lonergan Tate McDermott James O’Connor Hunter Paisami Dylan Pietsch Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii Corey Toole Nic White Tom Wright

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho granted bail in inciting to mutiny case
Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho have been granted bail. They are charged with inciting to m...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
10 minutes ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
48 minutes ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
1 hour ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
1 hour ago

$1M fines and jail terms ‘too harsh’, says Fiji Airways
Fiji Airways has raised serious concerns over the scale and scope of penalties proposed in the Employment Relations Bill, warning that the ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP