Fijivillage
17 February, 2026, 9:37 pm
Central - 25°C Clouds
17 February, 2026, 9:37 pm Central - 25°C Clouds

Update: COVID-19 press conference
53-year-old woman and her daughter positive of COVID-19

Update: COVID-19 press conference

53-year-old woman and her daughter positive of COVID-19

By Vijay Narayan
20/04/2021
Permanent Secretary for Health Doctor James Fong. [image: Fijian Government]
  • Testing and contact tracing for the last 24 hours and will not hesitate to increase the response - Dr James Fong.
  • The soldier who tested positive remains in border quarantine facility.
  • The contact tracing remains limited to his 69 primary contacts.
  • Only one of the 267 secondary contacts has tested positive.
  • 2 confirmed COVID cases now.
  • The 53-year-old woman and her daughter are positive of COVID 19.
  • The mini bus driver is in quarantine.
  • Another hired mini bus was used on Friday night.
  • That mini bus driver is yet to be located.
  • Then another mini bus and a grey taxi were used. The drivers are yet to be located.
  • Contact tracing continues.
  • The mother and daughter are COVID positive - the risk is high from the Tavakubu funeral to Nadi.
  • 3 individuals are in home quarantine in Naicabecabe in Moturiki.
  • Naicabecabe Village is now a contained area.
  • More than 500 people attended the funeral in Tavakubu.
  • Dr Fong says they are certain that there are more cases out there.
  • House to house visits are underway in Nadi and Lautoka.
  • He says they have the capacity to run 600 tests a day.
  • From tomorrow, movement in the Nadi and Lautoka contained area, it should only for emergencies and employment.
  • Wear masks, use hand sanitizers and practice social distancing - Dr Fong.
  • The Health Ministry has been informed that some supermarkets are not enforcing the guidelines.
  • Call made again to businesses to enforce the guideline of using the careFIJI app.
  • Do your religious prayers at home with your family members please as the guidelines are important - Dr Fong.
  • Dr Fong says he is concerned about misinformation by some like the Fiji Times having a headline saying that the vaccine does not work. He says their reckless words may have deadly consequences.
  • Vaccines do protect you from getting the virus. This is proven by science. You need the 2 doses - Dr Fong.
  • The likelihood of contracting the virus plummets after you take both doses of the vaccine - Dr Fong.
  • He stresses that the vaccines will save lives.
  • We need to recommit ourselves to COVID guidelines.

FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
4 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
University of Fiji and Jack’s Retail partner to launch new scholarship programme
The University of Fiji has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Jack’s Retail Pte Ltd to establish a scholarship programme aimed at expanding ...
3 hours ago

Long-time Lami resident calls for unity to tackle growing drug crisis
A long-time Lami resident is calling for stronger collaboration between government, faith-based organisations and community groups to address what ...
4 hours ago

Prison is there to set people straight if found with drugs - Nabouwalu resident
Amelia Dio says if someone is caught with drugs, prison is there to set them straight.Dio shared her views during the consultation on the proposed ...
4 hours ago

FNU honours choir for service through music
About 40 students in the Fiji National University Choir based at the Natabua Campus have been formally recognised for their contribution to campus ...
4 hours ago

Lateef to take plea on meth possession charge on Feb 25th
Former Suva lawyer Shazran Abdul Lateef will take his plea on the 25th of this month where he was allegedly found with methamphetamine last year. He ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
11 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
11 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
12 days ago

TOP