Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 11:28 am
Central - 29°C Rain
21 February, 2026, 11:28 am Central - 29°C Rain

Ukrainian F-16 pilot killed while repelling large Russian aerial attack

Ukrainian F-16 pilot killed while repelling large Russian aerial attack

By abc.net.au
30/06/2025
US-made F-16 fighter jets have become a central part of Ukraine's air defences since their first deployment last year. (Reuters: Valentyn Ogirenko)

A Ukrainian F-16 fighter pilot has died in a crash while repelling a Russian night-time attack that involved hundreds of drones and missiles, the Ukrainian military said on Sunday.

It was Ukraine's third such loss of an F-16 since it first deployed the US-made jets last year, with Moscow intensifying its air barrages.

Kyiv has not revealed the size of its F-16 fleet, but they have become a central and heavily used part of Ukraine's defences.

"The pilot used all of his onboard weapons and shot down seven air targets. While shooting down the last one, his aircraft was damaged and began to lose altitude," Ukraine's air force said on Telegram.

The air force said the pilot did everything he could and flew the jet away from a settlement, but did not have time to eject.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called for more support from Washington and Western allies to bolster Ukraine's air defences after the attack, which damaged homes and infrastructure across the country and injured at least 12 people, according to local authorities.

In Kyiv, families huddled in metro stations for shelter after air raid sirens rung out. 

Machine-gun fire and explosions were heard across the capital, as well as in the western city of Lviv, where such attacks are less common.

The Ukrainian military said Russia had launched a total of 477 drones and 60 missiles of various types into Ukraine overnight. 

"Moscow will not stop as long as it has the capability to launch massive strikes," Mr Zelenskyy said on X. 

Meanwhile, Russia's state-run RIA Novosti news agency said one person was killed by a Ukrainian drone in the Russian-controlled part of Ukraine's Luhansk region.

Both Ukraine and Russia say they do not attack civilian targets.

—Zelenskyy asks US for more support

Ukraine says recent attacks by Russia highlight the need for further support from Washington, which under President Donald Trump has not committed to new military aid for Ukraine.

Mr Trump said he was considering a Ukrainian request for more Patriot missile batteries after he met Mr Zelenskyy at a NATO summit last Wednesday.

"This war must be brought to an end — pressure on the aggressor is needed, and so is protection," the Ukrainian president said on Sunday after the attack.

He added that Ukraine was ready to buy American air defence systems, and was counting on "leadership, political will, and the support of the United States, Europe, and all our partners".

Russia has launched large-scale strikes on Ukrainian cities every few days over recent weeks, killing dozens of civilians, injuring hundreds more, and causing widespread damage.

During the latest barrage, explosions were heard in Kyiv, Lviv, Poltava, Mykolaiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Cherkasy and the Ivano-Frankivsk regions, witnesses and regional governors said.

The Ukrainian military said air strikes were recorded in six locations.

Eleven people, including two children, were injured in the central Cherkasy region, its governor Ihor Taburets said on Telegram. 

Three multi-storey buildings and a college were damaged in the attack, he said. 

—Ukraine to withdraw from anti-landmine treaty

Also on Sunday, Ukraine's presidential website said Mr Zelenskyy had signed a decree beginning the country's withdrawal from the Ottawa Convention, which bans the production and use of anti-personnel landmines.

Ukraine ratified the convention in 2005.

A senior Ukrainian lawmaker, Roman Kostenko, said that parliamentary approval is still needed to withdraw from the treaty.

"This is a step that the reality of war has long demanded. Russia is not a party to this convention and is massively using mines against our military and civilians," Mr Kostenko, secretary of the Ukrainian parliament's committee on national security, defence and intelligence, said on his Facebook page.

"We cannot remain tied down in an environment where the enemy has no restrictions," he added.

Story by Reuters/ABC

FEATURE NEWS
Children learn best in their first language-Radrodro
For the students of Navuso Primary School, International Mother Language Day is a day to celebrate the language of their homes, the words they first l...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
NASA to send humans around the moon for first time since 1972
For the first time since 1972, NASA is sending humans around the Moon.Four astronauts, including the first woman and the first African American, ...
59 minutes ago

Safer future ahead for Narata families in Nadroga through $100,000 relocation grant
For three families in Narata Village along Valley Road in Nadroga, yesterday’s groundbreaking ceremony was more than just the start of ...
1 hour ago

Datec launches Fiji Tech Summit 2026 with focus on AI and cybersecurity
Datec Pte Limited has officially launched the Fiji Tech Summit 2026, marking its fifth consecutive year as one of the largest technology gatherings ...
2 hours ago

Leadership Is a call to serve, Tabuya
Leadership is more than just wearing a badge on your uniform, it is a call to serve. Minister for Information, Environment and Climate Change Lynda ...
2 hours ago

PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
15 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP