Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 9:21 pm
Central - 25°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 9:21 pm Central - 25°C Clouds

Strong Opening for ‘Fast & Furious’ Film Suggests Movie Crowd Is Back

Strong Opening for ‘Fast & Furious’ Film Suggests Movie Crowd Is Back

By New York Times
27/06/2021
Michelle Rodriguez, left, and Vin Diesel in a scene from "F9: The Fast Saga." The movie is speeding toward earnings of $68 million in its opening weekend. [Image: Associated Press]

Hollywood is hoping so as Universal Pictures reports that the ninth installment of the Fast and Furious franchise, “F9: The Fast Saga,” is expected to earn $68 million on 4,179 screens — the largest theater count for a single film since the pandemic shuttered the movie theater business in March 2020.

The opening receipts for the series that began 20 years ago and has collected $6.2 billion in total global box office revenue falls within the range of previous iterations of the car-racing action series — which saw its peak in 2015 when “Furious 7” took in $147 million during its debut weekend, and its nadir in 2006 with “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift,” which earned only $23.9 million in its opening weekend.

Internationally, the newest movie has already earned over $300 million with a majority of the ticket sales coming from China, where “F9” recently crossed the $200 million mark.

For Universal Pictures, though, the opening success is vindication for a studio that in the early days of the pandemic decided to delay its potential blockbuster by an entire year — a move that was considered excessive when it was announced in early March 2020.

“In hindsight, it turned out to be a really great decision,” Donna Langley, chair of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, said in an interview Saturday. “We had a range of scenarios from best to worst, and this is right there as the best.”

“F9,” directed by Justin Lin and starring Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez, isn’t the first movie to perform well since movie theaters began reopening their doors. Paramount’s gamble to delay the release of “A Quiet Place 2” also paid off. While the studio sold off some of its other properties including “Coming 2 America,” and the forthcoming “The Tomorrow War” to streamers itching to get their hands on additional content, it held on to “A Quiet Place 2,” the John Krasinski-directed horror sequel, until Memorial Day weekend last month and has accrued $135 million in the United States and over $200 million worldwide.

Others haven’t been as lucky. Warner Bros. Entertainment’s “In the Heights,” for instance, has had a muted run in theaters despite rave reviews from critics. Since opening simultaneously in theaters and on the company’s streaming service, HBO Max, on June 11, the adaptation of Lin Manuel Miranda’s Broadway musical has earned only $22.5 million.

“I would call the moviegoing market during the last month ‘tentative,’” said David A. Gross, who owns Franchise Entertainment Research, a movie consultancy. “It’s hard to get a clean read because of the muddle of streaming options — different for each movie.”

Indeed, the pandemic has only accelerated Hollywood’s interest in experimenting with release patterns for its feature films, and that flexibility is likely to continue into the foreseeable future.

While moviegoers could see “Quiet Place” and “Fast 9” only in theaters, most of the other new releases offered in the past month offered consumers multiple viewing options, clouding the ultimate success of these long-delayed movies. For example, Disney’s “Cruella” has made nearly $71 million since it opened on May 28, in addition to what it has earned on the company’s streaming service, Disney+, which charges viewers there an extra $30.

The movie business has high expectations for Marvel’s return to theaters, but “Black Widow,” starring Scarlett Johansson, will not be an exclusive theatrical release; it, too, will be available on Disney+ for an additional charge. In contrast, the Warner Bros. film “Space Jam: A New Legacy” will be free for consumers on HBO Max when it opens in theaters, similar to Universal’s “Boss Baby” sequel, which, in a rare twist for the studio, will release in theaters and for free on its streaming service, Peacock.

Are all these release strategies confusing to moviegoers?

Langley doesn’t think so. “Consumers definitely seem to be finding movies, whether it’s in a theater or on any one of the streamers,” she said. “I think the question becomes what it says about the impact that it has on the theatrical business.”

Gross says it’s all going to take some time to sort out.

“You don’t shut down a $42 billion business for 15 months, rearrange the pieces and expect it to be back to full strength in a month or two,” he said. “The effects of the pandemic will take some time to heal. The new normal is coming — it’s not here yet.”

Nicole Sperling

c.2021 The New York Times Company

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC to keep Charters in custody overnight
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been taken custody. fijivillage News understands Charters w...
28 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Scabies cases increasing among children due to climate and close contact-Dr Tuicakau
Scabies is spreading widely among children as it thrives in Fiji’s tropical climate and due to close contact among students at home and in ...
4 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC.Naidu says the FICAC ...
4 hours ago

Young girls inspired to explore science and technology to shape Fiji’s future
High school students from Suva were inspired and empowered at the University of the South Pacific’s Global Women’s Breakfast 2026 event ...
4 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC. Naidu says the ...
5 hours ago

BSP reports 12.9 percent profit increase
The Bank of the South Pacific Financial Group Limited has delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31st December 2025, recording a ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP