Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 4:33 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 4:33 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Stampede outside stadium in Iraq kills at least two people, dozens injured

Stampede outside stadium in Iraq kills at least two people, dozens injured

By abc.net.au
20/01/2023
Soccer fans without tickets for the final Arabian Gulf Cup match had been asked to leave the stadium area. (AP: Anmar Khalil)

A stampede outside a stadium in southern Iraq has killed at least two people and injured dozens, a health official says.

Witnesses blamed the deadly incident on what they said was bad organisation of the Gulf Cup tournament.

The deadly incident happened on Thursday as spectators gathered to attend the final match between Iraq and Oman, in the first international soccer tournament held in the country in four decades.

The official Iraqi News Agency said some of the 60 people who were injured outside the Basra International Stadium were in critical condition.

A physician at Basra General Hospital told The Associated Press that two people were killed and 38 were injured, some of whom have been discharged from the hospital.

The physician spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to talk to the media.

Spectator Hassan Hadi arrived in Basra from the southern Iraqi city of Najaf three days ago to attend the final match and was not able to enter.

“There was no coordination. Lots of people came here but regrettably, there was no organisation,” he said.

Riot police beat some spectators with clubs to push them away from the gate when the stampede erupted, he said.

Saddam Hassan, an ambulance driver, said there were people of all ages standing by a metal fence leading to the entrance where the stampede took place.

Iraq's Interior Ministry in a statement urged people without tickets for the final match to leave the stadium area. It said the stadium was full and that all gates had been closed.

Iraq's new Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, who arrived in Basra on Thursday, urged people to help authorities in order to "show the final match of 25th edition of the Gulf Cup in its most beautiful form".

In the afternoon, Basra authorities said the situation was under control and that the crowds had moved away from the stadium, according to the state news agency.

Earlier in the day, the Iraqi News Agency reported that giant screens were placed in different public places, as well as another stadium in Basra, so that people could watch the match.

The Oman Football Association said Omani citizens who are currently at Basra's airport will start returning home for their own safety and in order to help Iraqi authorities make the final match "successful."

Oman's Foreign Ministry expressed condolences to the Iraqi government and people over the stampede, and wished the injured a quick recovery.

The tournament, which started January 6, had several incidents, including an outbreak of commotion inside the VIP section that made a Kuwaiti prince walk away from attending the opening match.

It was not clear what the commotion entailed but Kuwaiti media said it was "bad organisation".

The tournament included teams from the six Gulf Cooperation Council countries — Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — as well as Yemen and Iraq.

It is the first time since 1979 that Iraq has hosted the tournament.

Story by: AP

Original story link:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-20/deadly-stampede-outside-iraq-football-stadium-dozens-injured/101874698?fbclid=IwAR2n1pi7UcLAVeE0-l88zZX0nI95aP_bdhBj-5GXpiDAngYZFQsqCHPl0cw

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
8 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
9 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
11 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
11 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP