Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 12:37 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
22 February, 2026, 12:37 pm Central - 28°C Rain

Several European countries announce their 1st coronavirus cases

Several European countries announce their 1st coronavirus cases

By Semi Turaga
27/02/2020
Cases have emerged for the first time in countries such as Austria following the Italian outbreak [Photo:BBC]

Several European countries have announced their first coronavirus cases, all reported to be linked to the growing outbreak in Italy.

Austria, Croatia, Greece and Switzerland said the cases involved people who had been to Italy, as did Algeria in Africa.

BBC News reports the first positive virus test has been recorded in Latin America - a Brazilian resident just returned from Italy.

Italy has in recent days become Europe's worst-affected country.

Authorities have confirmed more than 300 cases and 12 deaths there.

The country has also seen four children infected. In the UK, schoolchildren returning from holidays in northern Italy have been sent home with the government issuing new guidance to travellers.

Latest around Europe.

In Austria, a young Italian couple who live in Innsbruck in the Tyrol was confirmed to have the virus.

The couple's home was sealed off and a hotel in which one of the pair work was put in lockdown.

Officials on Wednesday said the lockdown had been lifted, while nine people had been put in quarantine "as a precaution" following medical tests

Switzerland said a man in his seventies living in Ticino, bordering Italy, had been infected in Milan on 15 February and was now in isolation

A man in Croatia who recently returned from Italy became the first confirmed patient in the Balkans

On the Spanish island of Tenerife, hundreds of guests were locked down in a hotel after an Italian doctor and his wife tested positive for the virus

Spain reported its first case on the mainland, involving a woman in Barcelona who had been to northern Italy

Greece confirmed its first case, in a 38-year-old woman who had returned from a trip to northern Italy, according to reports

France confirmed the first death of a French national from the virus.

The 60-year-old French man was the second fatality in the country after an 80-year-old Chinese tourist died there earlier this month

France and Germany reported new cases involving people who had recently been to northern Italy.

[Source:BBC]

FEATURE NEWS
JSC to have emergency meeting today after detention of Charlie Charters by FICAC
The Judicial Services Commission chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, will have an emergency meeting today after the detention of Fijian national, Ch...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Government and UNESCO disaster resilience and sustainable livelihoods agenda
Strenthening disaster resilience and sustainable livelihood initiatives across education, science, technology, and innovation, gender empowerment, ...
55 minutes ago

Seruiratu asks why Charters was stopped, moved, and is held without clear explanation
Leader of Opposition, Inia Seruiratu says the detention of Charlie Charters has raised a serious concern for the people of Fiji. Seruiratu says the ...
2 hours ago

Nakauvadra High School prefects urged to lead with integrity and responsibility
The newly appointed prefects of Nakauvadra High School in Rakiraki were urged to lead with integrity, service, and accountability.This was ...
2 hours ago

Body found near Lami Wesley Church confirmed to be male
A man’s body was found floating near the Lami Oceania Wesley Church today. Police say more details will be released once the man’s family has ...
2 hours ago

Seruiratu asks why Charters was stopped, moved, and is held without clear explanation
Leader of Opposition, Inia Seruiratu says the detention of Charlie Charters has raised a serious concern for the people of Fiji. Seruiratu says ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
17 days ago

TOP