Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 6:33 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
22 February, 2026, 6:33 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Rugby dilemma – club rugby or national duties
Questions raised on whether players are under pressure from some overseas clubs

Rugby dilemma – club rugby or national duties

Questions raised on whether players are under pressure from some overseas clubs

[Photo: Fiji Rugby Facebook]

Questions have been raised on whether there has been pressure on some of the Fiji Water Flying Fijians players who are signing new overseas contracts or extending their contracts, which also links to their non-availability for national duties including the Rugby World Cup.

World Rugby regulations require clubs to release players for major tests and tournaments and forbid clubs from offering players incentives to turn down national selection.

People are now raising the issue on whether all clubs are following this.

Over the weekend, it was confirmed that forwards Peceli Yato and Apisalome Ratuniyarawa have left the squad just 47 days away from the Rugby World Cup.

When questioned by fijivillage News, Fiji’s Head Coach Simon Raiwalui, he said that Yato is leaving on his own accord while Ratuniyarawa had to make a decision based on the best interests of his family.

It has been confirmed that Yato has signed a 2 year contract with Clermont until 2025 with 1 optional year after that.

Raiwalui further says family is the most important thing for them, and all clubs have been very supportive.

Ratuniyarawa used to play for London Irish who have been suspended from the Gallagher Premiership due to financial difficulties.

Last week, his new club Bayonne posted up that “Bayonne is happy to welcome Api Ratuniyarawa, Fijian second rower, as World Cup joker.”

Bayonne says “with more than 120 matches on the clock in the Premiership and more than 40 selections with Fiji, it is a solid reinforcement for CIEL and BLANC.”

fijivillage News has asked the question regarding club rugby and national duties as this has also come up in the past years.

In 2012, Sydney Morning Herald had reported that former All Black and Racing Metro backs coach Simon Mannix had alleged that some Fiji players at the Paris club were kept there to play in the Top 14 rather than be involved in the global tournament in New Zealand in 2011.

Mannix had said that Racing Metro had Fijians who declined to go to the World Cup because the club gave them a cheque if they stayed in Paris.

The former All Black who coached at the club from 2006 till November 2011 alleged Sireli Bobo, Jone Qovu and Josh Matavesi were involved. The club denied the allegations at the time.

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC to keep Charters in custody overnight
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been taken custody. fijivillage News understands Charters w...
10 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Scabies cases increasing among children due to climate and close contact-Dr Tuicakau
Scabies is spreading widely among children as it thrives in Fiji’s tropical climate and due to close contact among students at home and in ...
13 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC.Naidu says the FICAC ...
13 hours ago

Young girls inspired to explore science and technology to shape Fiji’s future
High school students from Suva were inspired and empowered at the University of the South Pacific’s Global Women’s Breakfast 2026 event ...
13 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC. Naidu says the ...
14 hours ago

BSP reports 12.9 percent profit increase
The Bank of the South Pacific Financial Group Limited has delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31st December 2025, recording a ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
17 days ago

TOP