Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 11:57 am
Central - 31°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 11:57 am Central - 31°C Clouds

Relocation plans being finalised for 85 families in Nabavatu village in Dreketi and Cogea Village in Bua
Families are still in tents because it is not safe to rebuild - Rainima

Relocation plans being finalised for 85 families in Nabavatu village in Dreketi and Cogea Village in Bua

Families are still in tents because it is not safe to rebuild - Rainima

By Semi Turaga
24/11/2021
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama's visit to Nabavatu village in February this year.

85 families in Nabavatu Village in Dreketi and 40 families in Cogea Village in Wainunu in Bua will be relocated soon by the Government.

Houses in Cogea Village were uprooted by raging torrents during flash flooding at the height of Category 5 Tropical Cyclone Yasa in December last year while there were destructive landslides and land cracks which split homes apart in Nabavatu Village.

The directive to relocate the villages was first given by Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama during his visit there in February this year.

A committee was then formed to establish a relocation plan.

257931130-1753050865085981-1423603127739002846-n

Commissioner Northern Uraia Rainima says some of the villagers are still living in tents because they do not want to start rebuilding until they are relocated.

He says it is not safe based on geo-tech assessments conducted for these villagers to rebuild their homes on the current location.

He says most villagers have made temporary adjustments to their homes which were damaged while others have moved their tents closer to their plantations for ease of access.

Rainima confirms that both relocation sites for the two villages have been confirmed and the geo-tech survey has been done.

He says all Government departments involved in this operation are doing their best to ensure that these villagers move soon. The Commissioner Northern says emergency plans have been established for the two villages if there is a cyclone that affects us.

FEATURE NEWS
Hearing on Bainimarama, Sayed-Khaiyum and Dr Sharma charge changes on Tuesday
The hearing on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions application to amend the charges against former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, fo...
21 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
15 minutes ago

Lateef to be sentenced on Monday for meth and marijuana case
Former Suva lawyer, Shazran Abdul Lateef will be sentenced on Monday after he was convicted for the unlawful possession of 9.5 grams of ...
17 minutes ago

Fiji Hardwood declares first-ever $500,000 dividend since 1998
Fiji Hardwood Corporation Limited has declared its first-ever dividend of $500,000 to the Government of Fiji following its Annual General Meeting on ...
3 hours ago

Grammy-winning US songwriter Billy Steinberg dies at 75-yrs-old
Grammy-winning songwriter Billy Steinberg, a key figure behind a string of chart-topping hits including Madonna's Like a Virgin, has died at the age ...
4 hours ago

Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP