Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:09 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 3:09 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Princess Diana’s ruff-collared blouse, worn in engagement portrait, is going on sale

Princess Diana’s ruff-collared blouse, worn in engagement portrait, is going on sale

By fijivillage
29/11/2023
Diana wore the blouse for an engagement portrait taken by Lord Snowdon in 1981.

A ruff-collared, pale pink blouse Princess Diana wore in a 1981 engagement portrait is expected to fetch up to $100,000 when it goes up for auction next month.

Diana wore the blouse while posing for a portrait taken by Lord Snowdon that several magazines and newspapers, including Vogue, used when her engagement to the then Prince Charles (later King Charles III) was announced.

The blouse, which is complete with a satin ribbon tied in a bow underneath the collar, was designed by Elizabeth and David Emanuel, who famously went on to design Diana’s wedding dress.

The fabric of the blouse was salvaged from a dress that had been damaged when a client left a mascara stain on the skirt while trying it on, Elizabeth Emanuel wrote in her book “A Dress for Diana,” according to Julien’s Auctions, the Beverly Hills auction house conducting the sale.

“When (Diana) saw our blouse on the rack she fell in love with it, asked who had made it and was directed to us,” Emanuel recalled.

After the blouse was worn by Diana, the designer held onto it until she sold it in 2010. It was displayed at Kensington Palace from 2017 to 2019 as part of an exhibition of the princess’ clothes.

Another of Diana’s outfits, an evening dress she wore in public twice, is expected to sell for up to $200,000 at the same auction.

With its black velvet bodice embroidered with stars, a dropped waist, padded shoulders and blue skirt, the dress is evocative of the fashion of the 1980s, when Diana became a style icon.

Other items in the auction include memorabilia used or worn by some of Hollywood’s biggest stars in the 1950s and 1960s.

A yellow wool Givenchy coat worn by Audrey Hepburn in the 1963 movie “Charade” is expected to sell for up to $40,000 while a carriage clock once owned by Marilyn Monroe could fetch $4,000.

The sale is due to take place in Beverly Hills and online between December 14 and December 17.

[Source: CNN]

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
10 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
10 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
11 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
12 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
13 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP