Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 11:02 pm
Central - 24°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 11:02 pm Central - 24°C Rain

Police investigating aspect of negligence in drowning incidents involving children

Police investigating aspect of negligence in drowning incidents involving children

By Shanil Singh
24/09/2020
The drowning toll currently stands at 31 compared to 25 for the same period last year.

Police have confirmed that they are now looking into a possible case of negligence in all the drowning incidents concerning children this month.

Spokesperson Ana Naisoro says they will be able to determine the charges once the investigation process is complete and after having consultations with the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Six of the ten drowning incidents so far this month were involving children aged between 3 years old to 14 years old.

This includes a 3-year-old without a life jacket in a boat, two brothers trying to save each other while the babysitter slept under a tree, and another child who drowned in the Olympic pool.

A five-year-old boy drowned in Savusavu during a family picnic on Monday while a 3-year-old boy drowned in the Wailoku River on Tuesday.

The drowning toll currently stands at 31 compared to 25 for the same period last year.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
6 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
7 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
8 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
9 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
9 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP