Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 11:54 am
Central - 31°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 11:54 am Central - 31°C Clouds

No reduction in the Poverty Benefit Scheme in the 2021/2022 National Budget

No reduction in the Poverty Benefit Scheme in the 2021/2022 National Budget

By Vijay Narayan , Shanil Singh
06/07/2021
Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum

With the 2021/2022 National Budget set to be announced on the 16th of this month, Minister for Economy Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum has made it clear that government will not reduce any of the designated allowances in the poverty benefit schemes in the upcoming financial year.

Sayed-Khaiyum has also stated that of the $59.2 million budgetary support given by Australia, $31.1 million was specifically for Social Welfare support.

The Attorney General also hosted a Development Partner Forum last week where development partners reaffirmed their commitment to helping Fijians mitigate and recover from the pandemic and further pledged their support for the Budget cycle.

Over 60 representatives from bilateral and multilateral partners attended the meeting virtually.

Addressing members of the diplomatic corps and representatives of multilateral institutions, Sayed-Khaiyum conveyed the Fijian Government’s appreciation for the continuous timely support to our health and economic response.

Sayed-Khaiyum also provided an update on the targeted unemployment support provided to the formal and informal sector, provision of household packs to those in targeted lockdown areas and spending on other social protection initiatives.

More than 80,000 Fijians are currently benefiting from the government’s Social Welfare Programs.

This includes around 43,909 people being assisted through the Social Pension Scheme, 22,450 families being assisted through the Poverty Benefit Scheme, 7,815 people being assisted under the Care and Protection Scheme and 8,716 people who are receiving Disability Allowance.

Minister for Women, Children and Poverty Alleviation Mereseini Vuniwaqa says these are ongoing programs which have not been affected by COVID-19.

The Ministry was allocated $159.0 million in the 2020/2021 National Budget.

They will also continue works to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment by mainstreaming their participation in Fiji’s socioeconomic development which is driven by the implementation of the National Gender Policy and the Women’s Plan of Action to better promote gender equality.

FEATURE NEWS
Hearing on Bainimarama, Sayed-Khaiyum and Dr Sharma charge changes on Tuesday
The hearing on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions application to amend the charges against former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, fo...
18 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
12 minutes ago

Lateef to be sentenced on Monday for meth and marijuana case
Former Suva lawyer, Shazran Abdul Lateef will be sentenced on Monday after he was convicted for the unlawful possession of 9.5 grams of ...
14 minutes ago

Fiji Hardwood declares first-ever $500,000 dividend since 1998
Fiji Hardwood Corporation Limited has declared its first-ever dividend of $500,000 to the Government of Fiji following its Annual General Meeting on ...
3 hours ago

Grammy-winning US songwriter Billy Steinberg dies at 75-yrs-old
Grammy-winning songwriter Billy Steinberg, a key figure behind a string of chart-topping hits including Madonna's Like a Virgin, has died at the age ...
4 hours ago

Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP