Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 11:08 am
Central - 29°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 11:08 am Central - 29°C Clouds
NFA

NFA urges eatery owners to prioritise fire safety after Nabua takeaway blaze

NFA urges eatery owners to prioritise fire safety after Nabua takeaway blaze

By Priya Nand
08/04/2025
Photo: Supplied

The National Fire Authority is calling on business owners, especially eatery proprietors, to ensure that flammable items likely to cause a fire are stored properly in a safe space following a fire at Aosen Food Takeaways at Fletcher Road, Nabua, on Sunday.

NFA Chief Executive Officer Puamau Sowane says the NFA Command Centre was contacted by a member of the public via the 910 emergency toll-free line at 1.57pm, reporting a structural fire at the eatery, and the crew at Suva Fire Station responded with 2 trucks and 8 officers.

He says they arrived at the scene at 2.04pm to find a well-involved fire at the site and managed to extinguish it.

Sowane says the concrete structure sustained 80 percent damage, with the cost of damage estimated at $100,000, and initial investigations point to the cooking area at the rear of the eatery as the likely starting point of the fire.

He says fire investigators will begin work soon to determine the probable cause of fire.

The CEO is emphasising the need for fire safety training for people employed in the eatery business.

He says high-risk businesses such as restaurants, require staff to be prepared to handle fire emergencies, and their training ensures that staff know what to do in the event of a fire, potentially preventing further damage and ensuring safety.

He also highlighted a few fire incidents involving eateries which caused massive damage, such as a fire that started in an eatery at the Jaduram Building in Labasa in August last year, which caused damage worth $7 million.

He says these cases clearly demonstrate the dangers posed by such fires and the extent and cost of damage they can cause, and he is urging eatery owners to exercise caution and implement fire safety measures to ensure the sustainability of their businesses.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho to appear in Court today regarding inciting to mutiny charges
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho will appear in court today after being charged with inciting...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Hardwood declares first-ever $500,000 dividend since 1998
Fiji Hardwood Corporation Limited has declared its first-ever dividend of $500,000 to the Government of Fiji following its Annual General Meeting on ...
2 hours ago

Grammy-winning US songwriter Billy Steinberg dies at 75-yrs-old
Grammy-winning songwriter Billy Steinberg, a key figure behind a string of chart-topping hits including Madonna's Like a Virgin, has died at the age ...
3 hours ago

Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
3 hours ago

Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
3 hours ago

Rokobua Naiyaga is new Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission Fiji
Minister for Education, Aseri Radrodro in consultation with the Prime Minister, has appointed Rokobua Naiyaga as the new Chairperson of the Higher ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP