Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 3:26 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 3:26 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Mixed messages between organisers and IOC over 2020 Olympics amid coronavirus fears

Mixed messages between organisers and IOC over 2020 Olympics amid coronavirus fears

By Semi Turaga
12/03/2020

The fate of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics remains shrouded in uncertainty, amid rising fears over coronavirus and mixed messages from organisers.

The games are scheduled to be held in Tokyo between July 24 and August 9 but their fate appears increasingly in doubt as the world battles to contain COVID-19.

A member of the Tokyo 2020 organising committee's executive board has suggested the Olympic Games could be postponed.

Haruyuki Takahashi told The Wall Street Journal that delaying the start of the Olympics would be a better option than canceling them or having the events go ahead behind closed doors.

"I don't think the Games could be canceled. It'd be a delay," Takahashi was quoted as saying. "The International Olympic Committee would be in trouble if there's a cancellation. American TV rights alone provide them with a huge amount."

Takahashi's comments were in stark contrast to the position of the International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, who last week indicated the Olympic Games would go ahead as planned and urged athletes to prepare as normal.

The Tokyo 2020 organising committee told Newsweek it had "sought clarification" with Takahashi and that he had "inadvertently given his personal opinion in response to a hypothetical question."

The International Olympic Committee is doubling down on its stance, insisting neither canceling the Games nor postponing them was on the cards.

Japan's Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto called the possibility of postponing the games "inconceivable" and ruled out the option.

She says with the star athletes in the middle of preparations for this event which happens only once every four years, a cancellation or delay to the Tokyo games is inconceivable.

[Source: Newsweek]


ADVERTISEMENT
FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
7 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
8 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
10 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
10 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP