Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 6:08 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 6:08 am Central - 25°C Clouds

MediSecure reveals 12.9 million Australians had personal data stolen in cyber attack earlier this year

MediSecure reveals 12.9 million Australians had personal data stolen in cyber attack earlier this year

By abc.net.au
19/07/2024
In May MediSecure confirmed it was the victim of a large-scale data breach.(Reuters: Dado Ruvic )

eScript provider MediSecure has revealed the personal data of 12.9 million Australians was stolen by hackers earlier this year, making it one of the largest cyber breaches in Australian history.

MediSecure, which facilitates electronic prescriptions and dispensing, confirmed it was the victim of a large-scale data breach in May.

The company had previously not disclosed how many Australians were affected but confirmed the data was taken from its systems up until November last year.

MediSecure went into voluntary administration in June after the federal government declined to provide it with a financial bailout.

A sample of the data has since been published on the darkweb, but the ABC understands there is no indication the larger trove has been publicly released.

In a statement released late Thursday afternoon, MediSecure gave details about the kinds of data stolen including full names, phone numbers, dates of birth, home addresses, Medicare numbers, and Medicare card expiry dates.

The 6.5 terabytes of data also included which medications people were prescribed, the name of the drug, its strength, quantity, repeats, the reason for their prescription, and instructions for taking the medication.

The company folded in June this year, a month after the breach was first announced, with a different company, eRx, now the sole provider of electronic prescriptions to Australians.

National Cyber Security Coordinator Lieutenant General Michelle McGuinness released a statement on X.

"There is no impact to the current national prescription delivery service, and people should keep accessing their medications and filling their prescriptions," Lieutenant General McGuinness said.

Lieutenant General McGuinness, who was appointed to the coordinator role in February, said Australians should not go looking for the dataset online.

"I understand many Australians will be concerned about the scale of this breach," she said.

"This activity only feeds the business model of cyber criminals and can be a criminal offence."

Australians are being told to watch out for scams referencing the MediSecure data breach, and not to respond to unsolicited contact that mentions the incident.

"If contacted by someone claiming to be a medical or other service provider, including financial service provider, seeking personal, payment or banking information, you should hang up and call back on a phone number you have sourced independently."

Original story link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-18/medisecure-data-cyber-hack-12-million/104112736

Story by Ange Lavoipierre

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
13 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
13 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
14 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
15 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
16 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP