Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:21 pm
Central - 29°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:21 pm Central - 29°C Rain
NRL

Luai to replace Moses at five-eighth in State of Origin Game 2

Luai to replace Moses at five-eighth in State of Origin Game 2

By Navitalai Naivalurua
15/06/2025
[Image: The Nightly]

Jarome Luai will replace Mitch Moses as NSW’s five-eighth for the State of Origin Game 2 after a calf strain dashed Moses’s hopes of playing.

Moses pulled up sore while running the ball during a training session at NSW’s Blue Mountains camp on Thursday, injuring the same calf that troubled him earlier this year.

The Blues have sent Moses for scans on the injury that delivers a blow to their hopes of sealing a series victory by winning Origin II in Perth on Wednesday.

Blues coach Laurie Daley says Moses played really well in game one, and they are unsure of how bad it is, but he won’t be any good for Wednesday with the short turnaround.

Daley called Luai on Thursday to ask whether he would be available after Moses beat him for selection in NSW’s Game-one win.

Luai, who had just finished on the training paddock at Wests Tigers, answered Daley’s distress call to reunite with former NSW halfback Nathan Cleary in the halves.

It’s the second time in as many years that injury has forced the Blues to turn to a player they initially snubbed, with James Tedesco coming in for Dylan Edwards to play fullback in last year’s series opener.

Luai played five-eighth in all three games of NSW’s 2024 series win and has featured alongside NSW halfback Cleary at Origin level six times already.

The pair also won four consecutive NRL premierships together at Penrith before Luai joined the Tigers this season.

The NSW Blues will meet the Queensland Maroons at 10.05pm Wednesday at Optus Stadium in Perth.

[Source: The Guardian]

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
14 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
13 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
2 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP