Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 3:48 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 3:48 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Kunawave's actions were deliberate- prosecution
Prosecution's evidence is full of lies- Defence

Kunawave's actions were deliberate- prosecution

Prosecution's evidence is full of lies- Defence

By Priteshni Nand
24/11/2020
Tevita Kunawave escorted out of court.

High Court Judge, Justice Daniel Goundar will sum up the murder trial of a former soldier, Tevita Kunawave on Thursday.

26-year-old Kunawave is accused of killing his 4-month-old baby by allegedly throwing a concrete block through the window that hit the baby's forehead in October last year.

While making her submissions, state lawyer Elizabeth Rice says Kunawave deliberately intended to kill his wife by throwing the concrete block towards her but by chance it missed her and hit the baby.

Rice told the court that the evidence shows that Kunawave is guilty of what he has done which is why when he was charged he said it was not his intention to kill the baby.

While making their closing submission, defence lawyer, Thompson Lee told the three assessors that prosecutions evidence does not add up to the case as it is fabricated, full of lies and covers up the evidence from when the incident happened till the post mortem.

He admitted that Kunawave did assault his wife but he did not throw the concrete block inside the house intending to kill his wife or baby.

Lee says prosecutions logic in this case does not make sense.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
9 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
6 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
6 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
8 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
9 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
9 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP