Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 11:50 pm
Central - 23°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 11:50 pm Central - 23°C Rain

Huge twist in sexual assault case against ex-Fiji Bati star Jarryd Hayne

Huge twist in sexual assault case against ex-Fiji Bati star Jarryd Hayne

By Semi Turaga
20/02/2022
Former Fiji Bati star Jarryd Hayne

Former Fiji Bati star Jarryd Hayne still doesn't know whether he will face a third trial on sexual assault charges which date back to the night of the NRL Grand Final in 2018.

Abc.net.au reports the District Court has heard that the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions has not decided whether to pursue a retrial of Hayne or abandon the matter.

DPP lawyer Isha Fay told Judge Christopher O'Brien that the crown is still considering its position in relation to the question of a retrial.

Fay has asked for more time to decide whether to prosecute again.

Hayne walked from Cooma Correctional Centre three days ago after his convictions for the 2018 sexual assault were quashed on appeal and a retrial was ordered.

The Court of Criminal Appeal agreed with Hayne's lawyers' argument a jury had relied on inconsistent evidence from the alleged victim during last year's trial.

The alleged assault took place at a Newcastle home while Hayne was on a two-day buck's event in the area.

He visited a 26-year-old woman with whom he had been swapping messages with for 13 days and a sexual encounter ensued.

She said she had rejected his advances and Hayne was forceful but the former Parramatta Eels player has always maintained the interaction was consensual.

In 2020, Hayne first faced a trial over the charges in Newcastle, which resulted in a hung jury.

The trial then moved to Sydney last year and he was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and sentenced to five years and nine months behind bars.

He served nine months before his release on Tuesday.

As part of his bail conditions, he is not allowed to enter the Newcastle local government area and had to pay a $20,000 surety.

The matter has been adjourned until March 4, when the Crown is expected to reveal its decision about pursuing a retrial.

[Source: Abc.net.au]

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
7 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
8 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
9 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
9 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
9 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP