Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 2:59 pm
Central - 31°C Rain
22 February, 2026, 2:59 pm Central - 31°C Rain

Former U.S President Donald Trump found guilty on 34 felony counts

Former U.S President Donald Trump found guilty on 34 felony counts

By Mosese Raqio
31/05/2024
Found former United States of America President Donald Trump ( Source : WHYY )

A New York jury on Thursday found former United States of America President Donald Trump guilty on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in an effort to conceal a hush money payment made to a porn star ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

Politically, the unprecedented criminal conviction of a former U.S. president — and presumptive major-party presidential nominee — plunges the nation into uncharted waters, as the Republican continues his campaign against President Joe Biden.

After delivering its verdict, the jury is dismissed with the case moving on to the sentencing phase, a process largely controlled by Judge Juan Merchan.

Trump’s sentence hearing will be on the 11th of July.

The parties are expected to submit sentencing memos — in which each side presents arguments in favor of its preferred punishment — and other court filings.

Trump will also likely sit for an interview with a probation officer for a pre-sentence report.

In the meantime, Trump will be free to speak to the press, travel and continue his presidential campaign. He will also no longer be bound by the gag order that barred him from discussing witnesses, jurors and the judge’s family members, among others.

Trump’s guilty verdict does not automatically make him a “convicted felon,” however, This label will not be accurate until after he is sentenced in July.

The charges against Trump are Class E felonies, the least serious category under New York law and each count carries a maximum sentence of four years in prison.

Trump’s sentence could include fines and restitution, probation or other conditions — but a sentence of imprisonment is not off the table.

The judge also previously accused Trump of trying to “intimidate” the court, prompting an expansion of the gag order that Trump would later violate 10 times.

Trump will appeal to the New York Appellate Division’s First Judicial Department.

If that court upholds the verdict, Trump may be able appeal to the Court of Appeals, New York’s highest court.

The U.S. Constitution requires that American presidents be natural-born U.S. citizens who are at least 35 years old, and who have lived in the country for at least 14 years.

It does not bar felons from holding its highest office.

Source: CNBC

FEATURE NEWS
JSC to have emergency meeting today
The Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, will have an emergency meeting today after the detention of Fijian national, C...
44 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Teen dies from suspected Leptospirosis as Health Ministry urges caution
Members of the public are advised by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services to take immediate precautions against leptospirosis following a ...
22 minutes ago

FMA raises serious concerns regarding Charters' arrest and Sports Council
The Fiji Media Association is deeply concerned with today’s developments involving Charlie Charters, who was earlier stopped at Nadi International ...
35 minutes ago

Charters still in FICAC custody
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been takencustody.fijivillage News understands Charters will ...
40 minutes ago

FICAC remains silent after taking Charters into custody
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been taken custody.fijivillage News has been told that FICAC ...
40 minutes ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC.Naidu says the FICAC ...
40 minutes ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Charlie Charters held at Nadi Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file
Fijian national, Charlie Charters is being held at immigration at Nadi International Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file.fijivillage News has ...
49 minutes ago

Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

TOP