Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 7:57 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 7:57 am Central - 23°C Clouds
FEO

Former Daily Post Publisher claims Fijians in NZ were not properly informed about FEO’s registration drive

Former Daily Post Publisher claims Fijians in NZ were not properly informed about FEO’s registration drive

By Shanil Singh
24/05/2022
The Daily Post and a blogger based in Auckland, Thakur Ranjit Singh [Photo: Supplied]

The effectiveness, efficiency and credibility of voter registration in New Zealand by the Fijian Elections Office has been questioned by former Publisher of the Daily Post and a blogger based in Auckland, Thakur Ranjit Singh.

Singh claims the Fiji High Commission in New Zealand and the Supervisor of Elections have failed to ensure Fijians living in New Zealand were properly informed about the registration.

He says voter registration was taking place at Lords Jewellers office from Thursday last week and continued for 3 days in the nearby area but most people, especially Indo-Fijians were kept in the dark about this.

Singh says he got registered on Sunday and only found out about it through public requests on Facebook.

He says one person found out about it through his contact in the National Federation Party while others found out about it on social media.

Singh says there was no voter registration in the Western part of Auckland and adds there are a number of Indo-Fijians living in the areas but they were not made aware of it.

He says there are three 24-hour Hindi Radio stations in Auckland and questions why the medium of radio was not used.

Singh says when he enquired about it at the registration centre, an official revealed that the response was bad.

The former Publisher also says that during his presence at Whanau Community centre for an hour, he noticed that 90% of people were of non-Fiji Indian descent.

Singh has called on the Supervisor of Elections to come out clean on this.

We had sent questions to the Supervisor of Elections and the Fijian Elections Office on Sunday and sent a follow up yesterday. They have not responded.

Fijivillage also sent questions to the Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Yogesh Karan who has not responded.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and spend the night ...
4 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
4 minutes ago

Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
17 minutes ago

Rokobua Naiyaga is new Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission Fiji
Minister for Education, Aseri Radrodro in consultation with the Prime Minister, has appointed Rokobua Naiyaga as the new Chairperson of the Higher ...
1 hour ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
10 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP