Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 7:58 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 7:58 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Fijians working in informal sector who don’t qualify for any FNPF assistance schemes will be able to get $50
Those who qualified for the one-off $220 payment will now be able to access two additional payments of $220

Fijians working in informal sector who don’t qualify for any FNPF assistance schemes will be able to get $50

Those who qualified for the one-off $220 payment will now be able to access two additional payments of $220

By Rashika Kumar
30/05/2021
FNPF.

Fijians who work in the informal sector and who do not qualify under any FNPF assistance schemes and are not employed will be able to receive a payment of $50.

This has been confirmed by Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama.

He says under the previous payment scheme through the money wallets of Vodafone M-PAiSA and Digicel MyCash, it was only restricted to households in the containment zones but under this new scheme all individuals above the age of 18 in Viti Levu will qualify.

Bainimarama says further information on this scheme will be detailed by Tuesday.

He says they expect this initiative to directly cost government $10 million, targeting about 200,000 Fijians.

Those who qualified for the one-off $220 payment because they were in a lock down area will now be able to access two additional payments of $220, in other words, $440 from their FNPF accounts.

Bainimarama says government will top-up the balance for those with insufficient funds and says they expect there will also be some new applicants in this category.

He says this will cost government about $4 million and FNPF will release about $9 million.

The Prime Minister has also confirmed that the government will extend the Phase 2 and Phase 3 of the FNPF benefits which began in June last year for another month or equivalent to 2 fortnight payments.

He says this will directly cost government directly about $21 million and FNPF will release $6 million dollars.

The above collaboration in these schemes between FNPF and government will benefit over 60,000 Fijians.

He says they have already stated that they have directly sent $200 million dollars in unemployment benefits, cash benefits and micro, small and medium assistance since last year April.

Bainimarama says last year some had said that they needed to give more than what they did but they did not look beyond the first few months.

He says their argument has been that they, like all other governments in the world, did not know how long this pandemic would stay around for and affect the economies and livelihoods.

The Prime Minister says they always need to look beyond their noses and they need sustainability.

He adds as a result of the prudent management of their finances, they have the capacity to continue to provide those benefits and expand it to those who now need further assistance.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and spend the night ...
5 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Two vehicles involved in head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari
Two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision in Waigasau, Veisari, last night.When contacted this morning, Police told fijivillage News they are ...
5 minutes ago

Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
18 minutes ago

Rokobua Naiyaga is new Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission Fiji
Minister for Education, Aseri Radrodro in consultation with the Prime Minister, has appointed Rokobua Naiyaga as the new Chairperson of the Higher ...
1 hour ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
10 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP