Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:20 pm
Central - 29°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 3:20 pm Central - 29°C Rain

Fiji-born ABs winger Sevu Reece sentenced for willful damage

Fiji-born ABs winger Sevu Reece sentenced for willful damage

By Mosese Raqio
03/12/2024
[Image: advocate]

Fiji-born All Blacks winger Sevuloni Reece has avoided a conviction for willful damage after he crashed someone’s car into a garage while intoxicated after he was asked to leave their property.

Reece appeared in the Christchurch District Court today for sentencing before Judge Katie Elkin who ordered him to pay more than $2,000 in reparation and emotional harm.

The 27-year-old’s name suppression lapsed following the sentencing.

Reports say that Reece was asked to leave by the occupants of the address after being “disrespectful to other house guests” before he entered the victim’s Subaru Legacy which was parked in the driveway.

Reece told police the car was running when he got into it and he then accelerated up the driveway, crashing into the victim’s garage causing “substantial damage” to the garage and vehicle before he got out of the car and left the address on foot.

Outside court, Reece says he was sorry for his behaviour and apologised to the victim.

Reece says lots of positives have come out of this incident and that he is working on lots of things as well.

He says he has not had a drink in over a year and was thinking clearer.

Reece adds that there was no point hiding behind name suppression as this is a good story that people could learn from some of his actions.

He says it was a great idea to take name suppression off and face it and went on to say that he takes his responsibility of being a role model seriously.

Reece says he feels like he has let his fans down as they look up to him, but he can only make things right from here in his actions moving on.

Judge Elkin told Reece there was a breach of trust in that he was invited around to their home.

She says Reece had no previous convictions, however the 2018 period was committed while intoxicated.

Judge Elkin says Reece is unlikely to re-offend and was genuinely remorseful.

She says Reece had already donated to KidsCan and Ronald McDonald House and she found the offending was in the “low category”.

[Source: Stuff.co]

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
2 officers and two civilians remain in custody on meth related offences
Two police officers and two civilians who were charged with methamphetamine-related offences allegedly committed last year have been further remanded ...
12 minutes ago

Man allegedly assaulted by Shia LaBeouf in New Orleans wants to see hate crime charges
One of the men whom Shia LaBeouf allegedly battered and insulted with a homophobic slur on Mardi Gras morning in New Orleans on Tuesday, leading to ...
2 hours ago

Naitasiri murder accused remains in custody pending psychiatric evaluation
The 43-year-old man who allegedly killed 16-year-old Salote Sikiti with a cane knife in Naqali Village, Naitasiri remains remanded in custody after ...
2 hours ago

Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
2 hours ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP