Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 6:54 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 6:54 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Families earning over $30,000 to be removed from PRB flats
PRB to determine whether people are still eligible for tenancy

Families earning over $30,000 to be removed from PRB flats

PRB to determine whether people are still eligible for tenancy

By Priya Nand , Temalesi Vono
19/08/2025
PRB Flats in Simla Lautoka. [Image: Public Rental Board]

If families living in Public Rental Board flats are found to be earning more than the threshold limit of $30,000, they will have to be removed from the flats.

While speaking to fijivillage News, Minister for Housing Maciu Nalumisa says PRB will conduct an annual and social review for those that are living in the PRB flats to determine whether they are still eligible for tenancy.

Nalumisa confirms some families, who started off as low income earners, are now earning more than $30,000.

He says PRB has the power to review and do a survey of all the tenants.

Last month, during the Fijian Media Association Meet the Public and the Press Town Hall event in Savusavu, a resident raised concerns about individuals living in Public Rental Board flats who own taxis and earn more than $500 a week.

He questioned what the government is doing regarding the eligibility criteria for those applying for housing.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Rokobua Naiyaga is new Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission Fiji
Minister for Education, Aseri Radrodro in consultation with the Prime Minister, has appointed Rokobua Naiyaga as the new Chairperson of the Higher ...
6 minutes ago

Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
2 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
9 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
12 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP