Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 5:55 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 5:55 am Central - 23°C Clouds

FLP calls on SOE to act in an independent and fair manner
Saneem will not make any further comments

FLP calls on SOE to act in an independent and fair manner

Saneem will not make any further comments

Fiji Labour Party Leader Mahendra Chaudhry says the Fijian Elections Office cannot hide behind the actions of opposition parties and not report the FijiFirst Party to FICAC for breach of election laws. Chaudhry was responding to an unsigned comment from FEO that it will not make further comments on the FijiFirst banner issue because two opposition parties had already taken the matter to FICAC.

He says they are not asking FEO to comment but for them to act.

He adds the fact that two political parties have reported the case to FICAC does not absolve the Supervisor of Elections, Mohammed Saneem, from carrying out the proper functions of his office.

The Labour Leader says clearly an offence was committed by FijiFirst under Section 112(3) of the Electoral Act when it put up material on a public building in central Suva.

He says Saneem cannot ignore this and must report the matter to FICAC regardless of what action opposition parties take on their own volition.

Chaudhry says they expect him as holder of a constitutional office, to act in an independent, fair and impartial manner.

He further says that the SOE must take action without any further delay, with the same vigour he employs in reporting opposition parties to FICAC.

He adds that he is still waiting for an official reply from the SOE to his initial letter of complaint regarding the FijiFirst poster and despite several reminders, Saneem has still not done so.

He is reminding Saneem that he is a public servant paid by the taxpayers and he is obligated to carry out the functions of his office without fear or favour.

Chaudhry says there can be no double standards under the law.

Meanwhile, responding to the statement by FLP, Saneem says since the matter regarding the FijiFirst campaign material on the Suva City Council carpark has already been referred to FICAC, the Fijian Elections Office will not make any further comments on the issue.

Saneem says the FEO had given FijiFirst until 4pm yesterday, to remove the banner that was placed on the Suva Civic carpark.

The FEO has received confirmation from the SCC as well as FijiFirst that the banner was removed on Wednesday.

The Supervisor says following that, the FEO has been copied in letters by the Fiji Labour Party and the National Federation Party where it is noted that both these parties have already reported this incident to FICAC.

FICAC confirm they received the complaint against FijiFirst earlier this week.

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
9 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
10 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
10 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
13 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
13 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
14 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP