Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 11:15 pm
Central - 24°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 11:15 pm Central - 24°C Rain

Elderly father devastated after losing his son in Auckland tornado

Elderly father devastated after losing his son in Auckland tornado

By Rashika Kumar
20/06/2021
[Photo: Janesh Prasad Facebook Page]

A father has been left without any means of support as he has lost his eldest son to the devastating tornado that struck South Auckland on Saturday morning.

42-year-old Janesh Prasad who was originally from Daku in Labasa and lived in Vuci in Nausori before moving to New Zealand, lost his life in the tornado while working at a shipping yard in South Auckland.

Auckland Mayor, Phil Goff says he had been informed that Prasad’s death was a result of him being picked up and thrown in the air.

75-year-old Ram Naresh says his son moved to New Zealand in 2014 to earn a better living for his family.

He says he last spoke to Prasad about 2 weeks ago who was concerned about his parent's well-being due to COVID-19.

Naresh says his son had told him not to worry about getting groceries and other supplies as he has arranged for it to be delivered to him regularly.

The devastated father says his son was a hardworking man who looked after his family.

He says he will now have to rely on the generosity of the government in order to take care of his 67-year-old wife and his disabled daughter who needs constant care.

Naresh says it is very unfortunate that he cannot attend his son’s funeral and will not be able to make much arrangements here due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Janesh Prasad is survived by his wife and two teenage children.

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
3 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
4 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
6 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
6 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
8 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP