Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 3:25 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 3:25 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Despite coronavirus, IOC unwavering on Tokyo Olympics starting in July

Despite coronavirus, IOC unwavering on Tokyo Olympics starting in July

By Semi Turaga
05/03/2020
International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach [Photo: Association Press]

Despite worldwide concern and speculation about whether the fast-spreading virus outbreak will affect the Tokyo Olympics, the International Olympic Committee’s leadership is not joining in the debate.

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach told a news conference today about the second day of the executive board meeting in Switzerland that neither the word cancellation nor the word postponement was even mentioned.

Bach sought to project calm assurance after holding a conference call with local organisers.

In Tokyo, officials then briefed local media, some of whom wore protective masks.

Asked how he could be so confident the July 24-August 9 Olympics will go ahead as scheduled, Bach replied: “Because we talk to the experts.”

Bach said they are a sports organisation and they follow the advice of the World Health Organisation.

The coronavirus that emerged in China late last year had infected more than 90,000 people globally by today and caused over 3,100 deaths.

Serious outbreaks have been experienced in Iran and Italy.

Federal authorities in the International Olympic Committee’s home country Switzerland, which shares a border with Italy, have banned public gatherings of 1,000 people until mid-March to help contain the virus spreading.

The Tokyo Olympics are under threat due to the fast-spreading coronavirus which has killed 12 in Japan so far.

[Source: TVNZ]

ADVERTISEMENT
FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
7 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
8 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
10 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
10 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP