Fijivillage
17 February, 2026, 8:26 am
Central - 26°C Clouds
17 February, 2026, 8:26 am Central - 26°C Clouds

CID investigating the death of an alleged robbery suspect in Nadi

CID investigating the death of an alleged robbery suspect in Nadi

By Vijay Narayan , Naveel Krishant
14/10/2020
[Image: Fiji Police Force]

The investigation into the death of a man alleged to be involved in an aggravated robbery case in Nadi is now being handled by a team from the Criminal Investigations Department in Suva.

Acting Commissioner of Police Rusiate Tudravu had directed an internal affairs investigation be carried out with regards to the death of the suspect in Nadi on Monday after analysing the post mortem report.

Police say the findings ruled out initial claims and reports that the 47-year-old man’s death was allegedly linked to him jumping from a double story building.

The Acting Commissioner has assured people that a thorough investigation will be conducted to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the victim’s death and those found responsible will be charged and produced before the court of law.

A woman who claims that she was one of the eyewitnesses, says that the man was allegedly bashed up inside the house by some of the Police officers at about 4am Monday, he ran outside and went up the roof, jumped off the roof and was then allegedly bashed up again in Nasau, Nadi.

Police had earlier stated that the man and two others had allegedly forcefully entered the home of a 37-year-old businessman and stole a safe containing cash and assorted valuable items worth up to more than $94,000.

Police say the three fled the scene and were hiding in a home in Nasau, Nadi.

A joint task force team made up of officers from the Western and Southern Division were pursuing the three as they were alleged to be involved in other similar robberies.

Police had said that the team managed to track the three to their hideout and in their pursuit of the three the 47-year-old man jumped from the second floor of the building where he sustained serious injuries.

The second suspect was arrested and is also admitted at the Nadi Hospital while the third suspect who is from Suva fled the scene.

Investigations continue and recoveries of items alleged to have been stolen from the victim’s home have been made.

FEATURE NEWS
Board to meet today regarding serious issues at Fiji Sports Council
The Fiji Sports Council meets today to discuss various allegations against the former Executive Chairman and current CEO of the Council, Gilbert Vakal...
18 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Rugby legend Alifereti Dere laid to rest today in Nawaka
The late rugby sevens and rugby league star Alifereti Dere will be laid to rest today in Nawaka, Nadi. Dere, who played 11 Tests for Fiji national ...
1 hour ago

Trial date set for Samuela Tawase in alleged Samabula Temple sacrilege case
The trial date has been set from the 31st of March to the 2nd of April this year in the matter where Samuela Tawase is accused of committing ...
2 hours ago

10,025 iTaukei students supported through TLTB's education assistance
Since 2024, the iTaukei Land Trust Board (TLTB) has helped 10,025 iTaukei students through its Early Withdrawal Minors Education Assistance, which ...
2 hours ago

Semo temporary bypass road nearing completion, opening soon
Works on the temporary bypass road at Semo Village along the Queen's Highway are now in their final stages, with the route expected to open to the ...
2 hours ago

Mysterious airstrip in Nadi is not a priority for Govt - Gavoka
The airstrip at Namulomulo in Nawaka, Nadi, is currently not a government priority.This has been confirmed by the Minister for Civil Aviation, ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
11 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
11 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
12 days ago

TOP