Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 6:10 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 6:10 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Authorities investigating mass food poisoning at TikTok office in Singapore after 130 people fall ill

Authorities investigating mass food poisoning at TikTok office in Singapore after 130 people fall ill

By abc.net.au
01/08/2024
Dozens of workers came down with symptoms at the same time at the ByteDance office in Singapore.(Reuters: Mike Blake)

At least 130 people have contracted food poisoning at the head office of TikTok in Singapore, with local authorities and parent company ByteDance launching investigations into the incident.

Singapore's Ministry of Health and Food Agency said in a joint statement on Wednesday that of the 130 people who had fallen ill, 17 remained in hospital with gastroenteritis in a stable condition.

Fifty-seven people had been hospitalised on Tuesday.

The remaining patients sought outpatient treatment, self-medicated or had recovered.

Local media reports said that 17 ambulances were dispatched to the offices to treat those who became unwell on Tuesday local time.

A mass decontamination vehicle was also on the scene in Singapore's business district.

A spokesperson for ByteDance, TikTok's parent company, told the ABC that it was investigating the incident.

"We take the health and safety of our employees very seriously and have taken immediate steps to support all affected employees, including working with emergency services to provide care," the spokesperson said.

"We are investigating the matter and are working with the relevant authorities on this."

The ABC understands that ByteDance uses external food catering services in Singapore and does not cook or prepare any food on-site.

Singapore's Food Agency said in a statement on Wednesday that "in view of the severity of the incident" it had suspended the operation of two businesses "until further notice".

Both outlets have been ordered to undergo sterilisation, food handling courses and dispose of all food.

TikTok was founded by Chinese entrepreneurs but has its global headquarters in Los Angeles and Singapore.

Story by : Patrick Martin

Original story : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-01/mass-food-poisoning-tiktok-bytedance-office-singapore/104167474

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
13 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
13 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
15 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
15 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
16 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP