Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 1:46 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 1:46 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Australia 7s call in debutant Blake after Lawson departure

Australia 7s call in debutant Blake after Lawson departure

By Navitalai Naivalurua
07/12/2024
Photo: Rugby Australia

The Australian Men’s 7s side will be without Nathan Lawson for the HSBC Cape Town 7s.

Lawson will return to Australia for personal reasons after featuring in the Dubai 7s tournament last week.

His absence sees Jayden Blake come into the squad for his debut in the Australian colours.

Blake becomes the third debutant for the team after Sid Harvey and Aden Ekanayake featured in Dubai.

The Cape Town leg sees the Sevens series undergo a new format with a cut-throat pool system.

Teams have been drawn in four pools of three, with only the top sides advancing to the semi-finals.

The Australians have been drawn alongside Spain and Kenya.

Meanwhile, the Fiji Airways Men’s National 7s side will kick off their Cape Town 7s campaign against Uruguay at 12.38am tomorrow and meet Great Britain at 4.39am tomorrow for their second pool match.

The Men’s Cup semi-finals are set to start at 11.56pm tomorrow, with the cup final taking place at 5.11am on Monday.

Meanwhile, the Fijiana 7s team will play both of their pool games tonight, facing the USA at 7pm, and Great Britain at 10.16pm.

Source: Rugby.com.au

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
9 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
9 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
10 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
11 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
11 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP