Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 6:36 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 6:36 pm Central - 25°C Rain
DPP

31 people charged with 31 counts of non-sexual offences in Nov

31 people charged with 31 counts of non-sexual offences in Nov

By Mansi Chand
08/12/2025

A total of 31 people have been charged with 31 counts of non-sexual offences last month.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) says the charges include murder (2), aggravated robbery (5), aggravated burglary (6), burglary (1), theft (8), arson (6), assault causing actual bodily harm (1), act with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (1), and criminal intimidation (1).

There were 23 victims of the 31 counts, and in four incidents, the accused and the victim were related.

The ODPP says a 32-year-old man was charged with the murder of a 52-year-old doctor, they were in a de-facto relationship.

In another incident, a 44-year-old former corrections officer was charged with the murder of his 38-year-old de-facto partner.

A 27-year-old man was charged with an act with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The ODPP says he allegedly hit his 18-year-old de-facto partner with a piece of wood.

Meanwhile, a 35-year-old man was charged with two counts of arson. He allegedly set fire to the houses of a 65-year-old woman and a 42-year-old woman following an altercation.

In another incident, a 22-year-old man was charged with two counts of arson; however, this matter was discontinued due to insufficient evidence.

The ODPP further says that a 45-year-old man was charged with one count of arson.

He allegedly set fire to the belongings of a 15-year-old and a 35-year-old person.

There was one incident where a 27-year-old man and an 18-year-old man were charged with one count of arson, one count of aggravated burglary, and one count of theft.

The accused allegedly broke into Lakeba Post Office, stole cash and assorted items, and set the post office on fire.

The ODPP says there was one incident where a 74-year-old man was charged with one count of criminal intimidation.

He allegedly threatened his 34-year-old daughter-in-law with a cane knife.

Cash and assorted items were stolen during the alleged aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary offences, which included house and shop break-ins and day and night street muggings.

Two cases were withdrawn after discontinuances (Nolle Prosequi) were filed because the witnesses could not be contacted or located, and there was insufficient evidence.

FEATURE NEWS
Update : Bainimarama and Qiliho being questioned for alleged mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho are currently being questioned at the CID Headquarters.fijiv...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
10 minutes ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
27 minutes ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
30 minutes ago

JSC meeting with Malimali, Waqanika, lawyers for PM and AG Chambers underway
The Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, is meeting now with sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali, her lawyer ...
1 hour ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP