Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 6:57 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 6:57 pm Central - 25°C Rain

28 people homeless after six fires over the weekend
17 houses destroyed by fire this year – NFA CEO

28 people homeless after six fires over the weekend

17 houses destroyed by fire this year – NFA CEO

By Mansi Chand
30/01/2024
A fire at Malamala Photo: Supplied

28 people are now homeless after six homes were destroyed over the weekend, causing more than $565,000 worth of damage.

The National Fire Authority is urging people to be constantly aware of their surroundings and to safely store items that can ignite a fire.

NFA Chief Executive Officer Puamau Sowane says 17 residential fires have happened this year, with an estimated damage of $1.26 million.

He says 64 people were left homeless.

NFA Command Centre received a call on Sunday, from its 910 toll-free emergency line reporting a residential fire at Kiribati Settlement, Naboro.

Lami Fire Station was alerted and responded immediately, and when they arrived at the scene by 1.14pm, a four-bedroom timber and corrugated house was on fire.

The home belonged to a security officer, and at least six people were left homeless.

Ba Fire Station received a call reporting a property fire at Orisi Street, Tauvegavega, inside the fire boundary, and one truck and six officers attended to the report, while another crew from the same station attended to another residential fire.

The timber and corrugated residence was vacant, and the crew managed to extinguish the fire with an estimated damage of $5000.

Earlier on Sunday, Ba Fire Station received a call at 2.54am from Ba Police Station reporting a residential fire at Field 28, Ba.

The on-duty crew immediately responded, however, a two-bedroom timber and corrugated iron house was fully engulfed in flames, and the house was vacant as the owner was staying and working in Suva.

The house estimated damage of $20,000.

Meanwhile, the Levuka Fire Station received a running call on Saturday at 8.11am about a property fire at Kalaba Settlement where a timber and corrugated iron house were fully engulfed, and using the tank supply, the duty crew extinguished the fire through one delivery of eight lengths and feeding from a nearby hydrant.

The cost of damage is yet to be determined.

The Nadi Fire Station received an alert on Saturday at 5.40am, from the NFA Command Centre, about a property fire at A H Khan Road, Nawaka.

The duty team was attending to another fire at Malamala and immediately sent one truck with three officers to Nawaka, however, the fire was quickly spreading towards neighbouring houses just metres away.

A total of 11 people were left homeless, and damage was estimated at $290,000.

Earlier the same day, the Nadi Fire Station received a call from the NFA Command Centre at 5.04am reporting a fire at Malamala, outside the fire boundary.

This left six people homeless with an estimated damage of $250,000.

Investigations are underway to find out the probable cause of the six fires over the two days.

Sowane says adequate spacing between houses is imperative in heavily populated areas as proper home spacing is considered a fire breaker and prevents fire from spreading to adjacent buildings.

He is urging people to be careful, practice fire safety habits and learn fire safety rules.

The CEO says people’s lives had been lost in the past from unwanted fires, and they urge people to learn from these tragic incidents.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
2 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
3 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
4 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
4 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP