Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 2:17 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 2:17 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Jury orders rapper Soulja Boy to pay $4m to woman who accused him of sexual assault
Star was held liable for claims of sexual battery, assault and imprisonment by woman who said she was his assistant

Jury orders rapper Soulja Boy to pay $4m to woman who accused him of sexual assault

Star was held liable for claims of sexual battery, assault and imprisonment by woman who said she was his assistant

By fijivillage
11/04/2025
Soulja Boy at the BET awards on 25 June 2023 in Los Angeles, California. Photograph: Image Press Agency/Alamy

A jury has ordered rapper Soulja Boy to pay $4m to a woman who has accused him of sexual assault during their nearly two-year relationship.

On Thursday, a jury in Santa Monica, California, found the 34-year-old rapper – whose real name is DeAndre Cortez Way – liable for a handful of claims including sexual battery, assault and imprisonment in a lawsuit brought by a woman who said she worked as his assistant. A representative for Way had previously called the case “nonsense”.

According to the 36-year-old woman, who filed her complaint anonymously, Way regularly raped her and beat her and sometimes kept her as a prisoner. During her three-day testimony, the woman said when she started working for Way, she weighed approximately 150lbs pounds, Courthouse News reports.

“I was about 86lbs when I managed to get away from him,” she said, adding: “I didn’t even feel human any more. I felt like an animal.”

The woman also testified that while she worked for Way, she did not have a car and her phone “went missing” along with her driver’s license. At one point, she said Way told her: “Bitch, I have your license.”

The woman testified that despite Way’s mistreatment of her, at one point the two fell in love and were in something like a consensual relationship, Courthouse News reports. According to text messages shown in court which the outlet reviewed, both the woman and Way expressed love for each other at certain times.

Other times, Way would apologize to the woman and say: “Babe come back let’s talk seriously” and “Are u ok … I’m sorry I love u please call.” One text message from the woman read: “You think you can keep hitting on me you are crazy.”

After the three-week-long trial, Way was also found liable on claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress, sexual harassment and nonpayment of wages. He was cleared on claims of false imprisonment and constructive discharge, Courthouse News reports.

In a statement reported by USA Today, the woman’s attorney, Ron Zambrano, said: “We’re happy our client was vindicated and the jury believed her claims of physical and sexual assault … We’re looking forward to moving on to the punitive damages phase of the case.”

Meanwhile, Way’s attorney, Rickey Ivie, said that the woman made up her story and was instead motivated by greed. “She wanted to be paid … which is what this case is all about because it’s not about the truth,” Ivie said.

Source : The Guardian

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
4 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
5 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
7 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
7 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
8 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP