Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 11:25 pm
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 11:25 pm Central - 24°C Clouds

I am saddened by the tragic loss of life of a 6 year old who was trapped in a flooded culvert – Tabuya

I am saddened by the tragic loss of life of a 6 year old who was trapped in a flooded culvert – Tabuya

By Krishneel Nair
03/01/2023
Minister for Women, Children & Poverty Alleviation, Lynda Tabuya

I am saddened by the tragic loss of life of a 6 year old in Togomasi, Nadi who was trapped in a flooded culvert that he was trying to cross with his 60 year old grandmother.

This was stated by Minister for Women, Children & Poverty Alleviation, Lynda Tabuya who says her deepest condolences goes to the family of the child.

Tabuya urges Fijians, especially parents, guardians and all those who have children under their custody and care that the safety and care of children is paramount, especially in the cyclone season and torrential rain and flooding is expected.

She also says her condolences also goes to the family of the deceased who lost his life to drowning last week.

The Minister also urges Fijians to ensure that children are not left unattended, particularly now that most parents are back at work.

She adds everyone must be vigilant in ensuring that children are not swimming or playing in flood prone areas

Tabuya further says everyone must work in solidarity in creating a safe and enabling environment for children so that such tragedies are avoided and children live to their full potential.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
5 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
1 hour ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
2 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
4 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
4 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP