Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 2:39 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 2:39 pm Central - 30°C Rain

$100 million damage after TC Harold

$100 million damage after TC Harold

By Dhanjay Deo
13/05/2020
Minister for Disaster Management, Inia Seruiratu. [image: Fijian Govt]

The damages sustained during TC Harold to different sectors stands at around $100 million.

Minister for Disaster Management, Inia Seruiratu has confirmed this in a press conference this morning.

He says homes, roads and agriculture sustained major damages.

Seruiratu says agricultural damage stands at $27 million.

Seruiratu confirms that over 186,000 people have been affected by TC Harold where people's homes have been destroyed/suffered minor damages, there was agricultural loss and houses were affected by flooding.

Seruiratu also confirms that government has so far spent about $6 million in response to TC Harold.

He says $3.6 million was spent in the first phase where government had to hire private vessels because of the Suva lockdown and they had to deploy vessels to maritime areas from outside Suva and this was a costly exercise.

Seruiratu says in the first five days after TC Harold, teams were deployed to all major divisions of the country and the focus was on assessment and life-saving exercises and distribution of essential items.

He says around $2 million was used in the second phase and this involved delivery of food and non food items.

The Minister says 65 percent of food items went to the Eastern Division, 30 percent to the Central Division while the rest went to the West and the North.

Seruiratu says the 30 days of State of Natural Disaster after TC Harold finished yesterday.

Seruiratu adds that the Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama will make an announcement this Friday and will give further details regarding TC Harold.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho granted bail in inciting to mutiny case
Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho have been granted bail. They are charged with inciting to mut...
42 seconds ago
LATEST NEWS
$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
9 minutes ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
13 minutes ago

$1M fines and jail terms ‘too harsh’, says Fiji Airways
Fiji Airways has raised serious concerns over the scale and scope of penalties proposed in the Employment Relations Bill, warning that the ...
20 minutes ago

Lateef to be sentenced on Monday for meth and marijuana case
Former Suva lawyer, Shazran Abdul Lateef will be sentenced on Monday after he was convicted for the unlawful possession of 9.5 grams of ...
3 hours ago

Fiji Hardwood declares first-ever $500,000 dividend since 1998
Fiji Hardwood Corporation Limited has declared its first-ever dividend of $500,000 to the Government of Fiji following its Annual General Meeting on ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP