Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 6:16 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 6:16 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Investigation into alleged drink spiking incident at Warwick Resort after 7 guests get sick

Investigation into alleged drink spiking incident at Warwick Resort after 7 guests get sick

By fijivillage
16/12/2024
Photo:File

Minister for Tourism Viliame Gavoka confirms that 5 guests have been discharged following an alleged spiked cocktail incident at Warwick Resort.



5 guests discharged while another 2 in stable condition after alleged spiked cocktail incident

By Mansi Chand
16/12/2024
Minister for Tourism Viliame Gavoka

Minister for Tourism Viliame Gavoka confirms that 5 guests have been discharged following an alleged spiked cocktail incident at Warwick Resort.

Gavoka says one guest was released on Sunday from the Sigatoka Hospital, four have been discharged yesterday afternoon while two others remain in stable condition at the ICU at Aspen Lautoka Hospital.

The Deputy Prime Minister says the guests had consumed Pina Colada.

When asked by fijivillage News if the incident could have been a deliberate act, given that only seven guests were affected at a specific bar, Gavoka dismissed the possibility saying that the bar attendant has 16 years of experience.

He says it's something else that they need to identify.

Gavoka says the affected guests experienced symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and neurological issues.

The Deputy Prime Minister says they are receiving the best care possible.

He says the Health Ministry and Police are investigating the matter, though no further cases have been reported.

Gavoka says this is an extremely isolated incident, affecting only these seven guests at a specific bar within the resort.

He says no other incidents have been reported either at the resort, or across Fiji.

The Deputy Prime Minister says the industry is in shock.

Gavoka says further testing and research is underway.

He adds that the guests' discharge is a positive sign, indicating the situation is less severe than initially feared.



Australian mother-daughter dream holiday turns to ‘worst nightmare’

By Vijay Narayan
16/12/2024

A mother and daughter are returning home to Sydney after an “ideal break” turned into a “worst nightmare” when they were hospitalised after a suspected alcohol poisoning at a holiday resort in Fiji.

David Sandoe, whose daughter Tanya and granddaughter Georgia Sandoe-Simpson, told the ABC the women were “very well considering what they’d been through” and were waiting in an airport lounge after being discharged from hospital following a one-week holiday that started last Monday.

96fac7a7660570af9a3eb7dfce6426a21167e495

Sandoe’s daughter and grandaughter were among four Australian women, aged 18 to 56, and three other tourists rushed to hospital with suspected alcohol poisoning after drinking ready-made cocktails on Saturday afternoon.

Sandoe said the other two Australians hospitalised were also a mother and daughter from NSW. He said the women had been “banded together with the camaraderie that happens with these sorts of incidents”. Warwick Fiji said the resort is undertaking a “thorough investigation”.

They are also awaiting the health authorities’ test result report to gather all necessary information.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said it is providing consular assistance to two Australian families in Fiji.

The federal government’s Smartraveller website revised its advice to Australians travelling to Fiji to include a warning about the risks of drink spiking.

It says for people to be alert to the potential risks around drink spiking and methanol poisoning through consuming alcoholic drinks.

[source : stuff.co.nz/sydneymorningherald]



The Coral Coast resort case is a very isolated incident, the 7 guests are stable - Gavoka

By Vijay Narayan
16/12/2024
Minister for Tourism, Viliame Gavoka

Minister for Tourism, Viliame Gavoka reassures both local and international visitors to Fiji that the serious health incident that occurred at a resort on the Coral Coast, where 7 guests presented with illness after consuming a cocktail at one of the resort’s bars, is a very isolated incident.

Gavoka also reassures people that the condition of the 7 guests this morning was stable, and they hope their condition continues to improve.

He says as of now, all seven guests have been transferred to Aspen Lautoka Hospital for further medical care, investigation, and management.

The health team has conducted initial investigations, and so far, no further cases have been reported.

They are continuing to investigate the cause of this incident, and further testing and research are underway, with the full support of the Ministry of Health and Police.

Gavoka says this is an extremely isolated incident, affecting only these seven guests at a specific bar within the resort.

He says no other incidents have been reported either at the resort, or across Fiji.

Gavoka says the resort has been operating in Fiji successfully for many years and holds a strong reputation, particularly among the Australian visitors.

The management is concerned for the welfare of their guests, and is fully cooperating with authorities. They do not wish to speculate about the cause at this stage, as they are awaiting the results of ongoing investigations and laboratory tests.

Gavoka says the resort management has assured them that they have not engaged in practices such as substituting ingredients or altering the quality of drinks served to guests.

The incident occurred at only one bar, and it involved seven tourists, ranging in age from young to older, who fell ill.

Gavoka says the resort management shares their concerns and is fully cooperating with the Ministry of Health and other authorities to identify what happened and to ensure the safety of all future guests.

He says thousands of tourists are currently visiting Fiji, and close to a million tourists visit annually, and safely.

He says this is the only reported case of its kind that they have experienced in recent memory, and certainly nothing like this has been experienced this year.

Gavoka says while they understand the concern, they want to emphasise that the tourism experience in Fiji is typically very safe, and they have acted immediately to try and discover the cause of what made these guests, at this resort, fall ill.

He says their thoughts are with the affected guests and their families during this time, and they are ensuring that they receive the best medical care possible.



7 still admitted at Lautoka Hospital after ‘spiked’ cocktail incident – Dr Tudravu

By Alipate Narawa, Vijay Narayan
16/12/2024
Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor Jemesa Tudravu

Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor Jemesa Tudravu confirms the Ministry is still conducting their investigations into the 7 guests at the Warwick Resort who are still admitted at the Lautoka Hospital as it is alleged they consumed a spiked cocktail prepared at a bar at the resort.

Doctor Tudravu says they do not have the cause yet.

When asked on overseas media reports that two of the guests are fighting for their lives, Doctor Tudravu says the two were severely affected and are admitted with 5 others.

When asked on allegations of it being methanol poisoning as reported in the Australian Government Travel Advisory, Doctor Tudravu says they did not get that information from the Ministry of Health as their investigations are still underway.

Spiking is deliberately adding a substance to a drink, and Doctor Tudravu says they cannot confirm if the drinks were spiked until their investigations are complete.

The Australian Government has updated it’s travel advisory for Fiji as they have stated for Australians travelling to Fiji to be alert to the potential risks around drink spiking and methanol poisoning through consuming alcoholic drinks.

The advisory says they continue to advise exercise normal safety precautions.

They advise people to get urgent medical help if they suspect drink spiking.



Australian Govt warns of potential risks around drink spiking and methanol poisoning through consuming alcoholic drinks

By Vijay Narayan
16/12/2024
Source : I-Stock photos

The Australian Government has updated it’s travel advisory for Fiji as they have stated for Australians travelling to Fiji to be alert to the potential risks around drink spiking and methanol poisoning through consuming alcoholic drinks.

The advisory says they continue to advise exercise normal safety precautions.

They advise people to get urgent medical help if they suspect drink spiking.

The 7 guests at the Warwick Resort are still admitted at the Lautoka Hospital as it is alleged they consumed a spiked cocktail prepared at a bar at the resort.

Police and the Ministry of Health are currently investigating the alleged incident after the guests were taken to the Sigatoka Hospital on Saturday night for nausea, vomiting, and neurological symptoms.

The affected patients' ages range from 18 to 56 years.

They say two patients were earlier transferred to the Lautoka Hospital due to the severity of their condition but as of now, all are at the Lautoka Hospital.

Of the 7 guests, 4 are Australian, 1 American and 2 are foreigners residing locally.



Police and Health Ministry investigate alleged drink spiking incident at Warwick Resort after 7 guests get sick

All patients admitted at Lautoka Hospital
By Rashika Kumar
15/12/2024

7 guests at the Warwick Resort are admitted at the Lautoka Hospital as it is alleged they consumed a spiked cocktail prepared at a bar at the resort.

Police and the Ministry of Health are currently investigating the alleged incident after the guests were taken to the Sigatoka Hospital on Saturday night for nausea, vomiting, and neurological symptoms.

The Ministry of Health says the affected patients' ages range from 18 to 56 years.

They say two patients were earlier transferred to the Lautoka Hospital due to the severity of their condition but as of now, all are at the Lautoka Hospital.

Of the 7 guests, 4 are Australian, 1 American and 2 are foreigners residing locally.

The Ministry also says a team of Health Inspectors has been mobilised to assist the health team at Sigatoka Hospital in the detailed investigation of the event at the resort, as well as to identify other guests who may have been affected by similar symptoms after consuming the same drink.

The Ministry advises the public to be cautious and ensure that the food and drinks they consume during this festive season are safe.

While confirming the receipt of the report, Divisional Police Commander West, Senior Superintendent of Police Iakobo Vaisewa, says the team is still in the early stages of its investigation.


FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
1 hour ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
1 hour ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
1 hour ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
3 hours ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP