Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 6:00 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 6:00 pm Central - 25°C Rain

US forces seize Russian-flagged oil tanker with Venezuela links in North Atlantic

US forces seize Russian-flagged oil tanker with Venezuela links in North Atlantic

By Peter Brimble
08/01/2026
The US has been in pursuit of aging Russian-flagged oil tanker Marinera, formerly known as Bella 1. (Reuters: Hakon Rimmereid)

The US military has boarded and seized a Russian-flagged oil tanker in the North Atlantic Ocean that has been trying to evade a US blockade for weeks.

It is one of two Venezuela-linked oil tankers intercepted by the US within a few hours, as the Trump administration pledges to tightly control the country's oil industry and use its blockade to pressure its government to cooperate.

Britain provided "enabling support" for the seizure of the tanker, including surveillance aircraft and a support ship.

Russia reportedly sent a submarine and other naval vessels to the scene, declaring the tanker was "our vessel".

The tanker, formerly known as Bella 1, had been evading interception since the US Coast Guard attempted to board and seize it in December.

It had changed its name to the Marinera and switched its registration to Russia. But the US deemed it "stateless after flying a false flag", White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt said.

The US European Command said the tanker had been seized for "violations of US sanctions". A warrant had been issued by a US federal court.

The British Ministry of Defence said its forces provided "pre-planned operational support".

The White House said the tanker's crew could now be charged in the US. "They will be brought to the United States for such prosecution if necessary," Ms Leavitt said.

Online maritime vessel tracker TankerTrackers showed the Marinera making a sudden southbound turn in the North Atlantic on Tuesday, local time. It was seized in the North Sea, near Iceland.

Moscow slammed the seizure of the vessel.

Russia's transport ministry said it had given the vessel "temporary permission" to sail under the Russian flag on December 24.

Russia's foreign ministry said it believed Russian citizens were among the crew. It issued a statement demanding the US respect their rights and "not hinder their speedy return to their homeland".

UK Defence Secretary John Healey said Britain was satisfied the seizure complied with international law.

"This ship, with a nefarious history, is part of a Russian-Iranian axis of sanctions evasion which is fuelling terrorism, conflict, and misery from the Middle East to Ukraine," he said.

Earlier on Wednesday, local time, US officials told news outlets CBS and the Wall Street Journal that Russia has sent naval assets, including a submarine to escort the ship.

Russia had asked the US to stop pursuing the vessel prior to its capture, the Journal said, citing three other US officials.

Second tanker seized in Caribbean The US Coast Guard also seized a second Venezuelan-linked tanker, the Sophia, in Latin American waters.

The US Southern Command, which oversees military activities in Latin America and the Caribbean, said the Sophia was interdicted in "a pre-dawn action".

"The Department of War, in coordination with the Department of Homeland Security, apprehended a stateless, sanctioned dark fleet motor tanker without incident," it said on X.

"The US Coast Guard is escorting M/T Sophia to the US for final disposition," said the post.

US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth added that the US's blockade of "sanctioned and illicit Venezuelan oil" remained in effect globally.

The interceptions came just days after US special forces swooped into Caracas before dawn on Saturday in a deadly raid to seize Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who the US military turned over to federal authorities for prosecution in New York on charges involving alleged drug trafficking.

US President Donald Trump announced a plan to refine and sell up to 50 million barrels of Venezuelan oil that had been stuck in Venezuela under the US blockade, in a further sign that Washington has been coordinating with the Venezuelan government since Mr Maduro's capture.

Original Story Link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2026-01-08/us-intercepts-bella-1-venezuelan-oil-tanker-russia-sub/106208100?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

FEATURE NEWS
Update : Bainimarama and Qiliho being questioned for alleged mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho are currently being questioned at the CID Headquarters.fijiv...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
14 minutes ago

JSC meeting with Malimali, Waqanika, lawyers for PM and AG Chambers underway
The Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, is meeting now with sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali, her lawyer ...
39 minutes ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
43 minutes ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
2 hours ago

Fiji removed from EU Blacklist
Great news as Fiji has officially been removed from the European Union list of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes (EU Blacklist).The ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP